Cold Haze after kegging & Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
What causes the cold haze when kegging and force carbonating. All my beers are clear as a bell when they are kegged, but once they get cold and are force carbonated they become cloudy for a week or so again. What causes the cold haze, and how can it be prevented?

In a nutshell, colder environments cause protiens to bind together

Removing them will either take a fining agent in the boil or gelatin in the keg to bind the protien and drop out.

Making sure the hot wort is chilled quickly will also help prevent chill haze. I use Irish moss in the boil and cool with a plate chiller. I keg and force carb. All my beers are super clear. See!

ForumRunner_20130520_070221.jpg

Thanks for the great answers and advice. I recently purchased some whirlfloc tablets, but have not had a chance to use them yet, when are they added to the beer, after the boil, after cooling? They will work the same as Spanish moss correct?

BrewMasta said:
Thanks for the great answers and advice. I recently purchased some whirlfloc tablets, but have not had a chance to use them yet, when are they added to the beer, after the boil, after cooling? They will work the same as Spanish moss correct?

I add my tabs 15 min left in boil. Works very well in combo of a cold crash. Good luck

BrewMasta said:

Add the whirlfloc when you have 15 minutes left in the boil.

Chill haze will naturally drop out of your beer with 1-3 weeks at fridge temperature. Almost all beers will exhibit chill haze, regardless of whether you use a fining agent or not. ClarityFerm is said to remove the proteins that cause chill haze, but I haven't tried it. I'm in the camp that argues that chill haze is not a flaw, but rather an indication that your beer hasn't been cold conditioned long enough.

Back