Very Hoppy American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psontis

Reaction score
Hello, everyone, new to the forum as far as posting goes, but been lurking in here for all the juicy info you guys share!

Am set for my third brew and since summer is hitting I wanted to do a light, refreshing American pale ale with loads of hops for aroma and complex flavors and not too malty. Preferably around 5% and 40-45 IBUs (Brewdog's Dead Pony Club would be a nice example of what I am aiming for)

At the moment I can't do all grain, so only malt extract recipes work for me with partial mashing for the specialty grains.

Up to now I have brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and the second one was Dogfish 90 Minute IPA clone (which got bottled this weekend and taste was very promising)

My main problem is I can't get Amarillo, Simcoe or Centennial locally (but have 35gr of Amarillo and 91gr of Simcoe leftover) any other of the main hops I can get.

I looked in the APA recipes but most are all grain or not that hoppy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Hello, everyone, new to the forum as far as posting goes, but been lurking in here for all the juicy info you guys share!

Am set for my third brew and since summer is hitting I wanted to do a light, refreshing American pale ale with loads of hops for aroma and complex flavors and not too malty. Preferably around 5% and 40-45 IBUs (Brewdog's Dead Pony Club would be a nice example of what I am aiming for)

At the moment I can't do all grain, so only malt extract recipes work for me with partial mashing for the specialty grains.

Up to now I have brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and the second one was Dogfish 90 Minute IPA clone (which got bottled this weekend and taste was very promising)

My main problem is I can't get Amarillo, Simcoe or Centennial locally (but have 35gr of Amarillo and 91gr of Simcoe leftover) any other of the main hops I can get.

I looked in the APA recipes but most are all grain or not that hoppy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advance

So you want a beer that has lots of hop aroma but you aren't finding a recipe that fits? Pick a recipe that looks like it might be close and add more hop aroma but doing a "dry hop", putting hops into the fermenter after all the fermentation activity has ceased and leaving them in the beer for 4 to 7 days and then bottle or keg the beer. You could even put in some more hop flavor by adding the hop near the end of the boil, say the last 10 minutes all the way to flame out.

I was planning to split the beer in 4-5 demijohns and dry hop with different varieties so I can get to know the properties of each variety.
My main issue is that most (if not all) recipes I find interesting are all grain and with this being the third brew I have a go at, I am trying to experiment less during boil.
I know I could replace the grain bill with the equivalent LME or DME but i'd rather go for something that is tested and gave good results
Thank either way

I am on my cell phone, so I don't have my brewing software to plug this into, but off the top of my head... For 5 gallons, you could do 6 lbs extra light DME (1 lb at the beginning, the rest added at flameout), 8 to 12 oz crystal 40L, an ounce or so of centennial for 45- or 60-minute boil (bittering) and an ounce of cascade at 10 minutes for flavor/aroma. Then dry hop each of you demijohns however you want to try different hop combinations.

Latest posts

Back