Thoughts on using a 55 gallon water storage drum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen people use them. Not sure I'd put more than 50 gallons of cider in one, just for krausen room. Wish it said what kind of plastic they use.

Actually you would be better off with one where the top comes off. Makes it easier to clean.

Just noticed it says it's made of food grade hmw-hdpe
and "dontains no bpa"

which i assume the dontains is a typo meaning contains.

As far as i can tell this thing is a huge better boy.

I didnt notice that the lid doesnt come off though. Thanks for pointing that out. It would be really hard to sanitize like that. Probably could do it with pressure washer i guess.

Those are fine, I've used them before. The lid does come off, but it's kind of a pain.

Be sure you have an equal amount of secondary cooperage available. Also gonna need a pump. You wont be lifting that sucker up to the counter for racking.

LeBreton said:
Those are fine, I've used them before. The lid does come off, but it's kind of a pain.

Be sure you have an equal amount of secondary cooperage available. Also gonna need a pump. You wont be lifting that sucker up to the counter for racking.

Good point !!!

Here's a good site, I've looked into these and conical fermentors, and I think if I were to spend the money I'd just rather get a connical:

Here's the barrell site: http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/m...el/drums-pails/closed-open-head-plastic-drums

Here's the conical site, they're a little more money and you'd need to pay shipping, but with a conical you don't need to rack to a secondary, you just need the one, and then drain the yeast out of the bottom, so, in essance, it can end up costing pretty close to the same as two barrels.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/19/cone-bottom-tanks?gclid=COiXsqbUhrICFQjf4Aod2GEApA

And here's a good tutorial on building your own cone bottom stand:

Edit: interesting, this website won't let me post a link to another home brew website... the make your own stand is at:

www. home brew chatter .com /board/showthread.php?t=12949

I added spaces so maybe it will work this way

I don't know how you did it, but you did it...thanks upstate!

When i tried posting it just came up *******************.com, I guess home brew talk has a grudge against home brew chatter... :)

Back