Fermentation chamber safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Legal

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this exact topic has been covered. I'm considering getting a chest freezer with dual stage temp controller, but I'm curious if anyone is aware of any safety issues associated with this. I'm a bit concerned that putting any kind of electrical equipment inside a box where condensation occurs (or beer could spill) might be an accident waiting to happen. Has anybody ever had problems with this kind of setup?

Put a dehumidifier in it removes any condensation! Any other concerns put it on a GFCI if u want if its a newer chest freezer u shouldn't have any issues with nuisance tripping and you'd be good to go

Ok, thanks for the reply. One more quick follow-up question: does it matter what the power cord you're plugging in looks like? For example, what if you use a lamp or fermwrap that only has a two-prong plug instead of a three-prong?

A refrigeration system is a dehumidifier. That's why condensation occurs on the evaporator. It has to do with a thing called dew point. That's why there are drains in A/C units, coolers, some freezers and the family refrigerator. Stick the electronics on the outside of the box and run the sensor wire between the lid and frame gasket. Placing a dehum. in a chest freezer isn't sound advice. The smallest dehum. is massive overkill in a small freezer. The heat of rejection will over heat the freezer. Besides, how will you stick a dehum. in a freezer if there are kegs or carboys in the space?

A refrigeration system is a dehumidifier. That's why condensation occurs on the evaporator. It has to do with a thing called dew point. That's why there are drains in A/C units, coolers, some freezers and the family refrigerator. Stick the electronics on the outside of the box and run the sensor wire between the lid and frame gasket. Placing a dehum. in a chest freezer isn't sound advice. The smallest dehum. is massive overkill in a small freezer. The heat of rejection will over heat the freezer. Besides, how will you stick a dehum. in a freezer if there are kegs or carboys in the space?

+1. Put the control on the exterior. No reason to put it inside.

I've made two rigs like that and they work great but keep in mind that co2 gets trapped in the freezer so leave it open for a bit before you jam your head in

Whoa! Rather than loading a free-standing room dehumidifier into his keezer, I'm sure he was referring to something like this.
eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier_FD96DD16-5056-A342-43CF0E3E8C629D27_main.jpg

Cheers!

Back