Outdoor Gourmet 30qt pot - Anyone have this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwetzler

Reaction score
Anybody use one of these to do their boils in?

I found this Outdoor Gourmet, 30qt Aluminum Pot at Academy Sports for 19.99...which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I bought one, and when I unpacked it I found that there was some metallic dust in the bottom of the pot.

Can I just wash this metallic dust out, and be good to brew from this point forward?

here is a link to the pot:
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...933739031+10001+933739030&Ntt=tf+cook&Ntk=All

Once you have the dust washed out fill it with water and boil it for about 10 minutes. This will form a black oxide layer. Now it will be ready for brewing. Don't scrub the black oxide off.

Did it come with a thermometer? Says on the site one is included but a few reviews say its only the pot. Thanks.

I got the little more expensive Stainless Steel pot at Academy. I hears that you should not use a Aluminum pot but that may be BS.

Aluminum pot is perfectly fine. Good find, do exactly what first poster says and oxidize it. Enjoy your new pot.

Did it come with a thermometer? Says on the site one is included but a few reviews say its only the pot. Thanks.
Yeah it came with a thermometer (with clip), Cajun injector applicator/needle, Pot, Lid, turkey hanger, and a false bottom/strainer device.

I couldn't find the exact one on their website, but the store had plenty for 19.99.

Also found a 39.99 version that had a few more strainer type extras, as well as a gas regulator and some hoses. I couldn't verify that it had the actual burner and base...didn't have time to open one up and check.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but anyone buy the pot and burner? Found it for $35 on academy. No issues with aluminum? Slower boil time? Faster? Don't know the difference between brewing in SS and Aluminum as I always do SS

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but anyone buy the pot and burner? Found it for $35 on academy. No issues with aluminum? Slower boil time? Faster? Don't know the difference between brewing in SS and Aluminum as I always do SS

I have 5-gallon and 8-gallon aluminum tamale steamers that I use for boil kettles. No issues with aluminum. If anything there will be a very slightly faster boil time. Aluminum is a better heat conductor than SS. Do fill it with water and boil for 30 minutes or so to develop the black oxide layer, then dump the water out. Won't kill you if you don't, but it will make you feel better psychologically if you do. Don't scrub the oxide off.

I have 5-gallon and 8-gallon aluminum tamale steamers that I use for boil kettles. No issues with aluminum. If anything there will be a very slightly faster boil time. Aluminum is a better heat conductor than SS. Do fill it with water and boil for 30 minutes or so to develop the black oxide layer, then dump the water out. Won't kill you if you don't, but it will make you feel better psychologically if you do. Don't scrub the oxide off.

I appreciate it. If I can get Academy to take my order I will have one soon. then i can do two boils at a time!

Yeah it came with a thermometer (with clip), Cajun injector applicator/needle, Pot, Lid, turkey hanger, and a false bottom/strainer device.

I couldn't find the exact one on their website, but the store had plenty for 19.99.

Also found a 39.99 version that had a few more strainer type extras, as well as a gas regulator and some hoses. I couldn't verify that it had the actual burner and base...didn't have time to open one up and check.

About a year and a half ago I got a similar deal via Cabelas- 7.5G aluminum pot plus propane burner. Have done about 20 batches on it and it's great. You do have to keep a sharp eye on the start of the boil for a boilover when boiling 6.5G in a 7.5G kettle but it's doable. Repeat after me- Fermcap is your friend!

Back