Freezing off extra volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this, and can possibly give reason for doing so or not? I ask because my last batch had less than expected grain absorption, and I didn't have enough time to boil off as much as I would have liked. So would it make sense to eliminate some volume going into my keg by freezing it in the fermenter? Any input is appreciated. Especially if the method has a name.

You should boil it on the stove for 60 mins. At that point you could throw it into the fermenter or save for a yeast starter.

Usually the freeze concentrating is done post fermentation. If your OG is near where your target is, I would suggest just fermenting it all out if you have the space and deciding afterwards. Otherwise you may have troubles with sanitation (the point of rapidly cooling is not only for cold break, but for giving the yeast as much advantage to take hold before anything else can).

Just my $0.02.

I've roughly got a gallon too much for the keg to hold. I'm dry hopping right now, and am planning to try and freeze that off before transferring. From what I have read now, this is eising the beer. Correct?

Keep in mind that you're removing water, not alcohol. If you start with 6 gallons of 5%, and freeze off a gallon, you'll probably be close to 5.8-6% of 5gallons

Yeah. I realize that and it should bring me back to what i was targeting abv wise. OG was 1.054 instead of 1.066. My efficiency was good though at 76%. I'm actually looking to do this not only to fit into my 5gal keg, but also to get the kick I was looking for.

Latest posts

Back