Recipe Suggestions on Hoppy Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking to see if anybody had a good experience making a hoppy red ale. Using all malt extract with yeast starter.

I currently have galaxy, citra, amarillo and simcoe on hand. But open to any other hops. I'm just looking for a hoppy red ale recipe

If you have any suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks

i haven't made tim's recipe but it looks pretty awesome!

using a hefty % of munich and a modest dose of crystal is a pretty winning formula for this style.

I guess since you're using all malt extract you should just use 100% amber? As for a hop schedule, I'd follow a normal IPA kind of hop schedule.

If you're willing/able to go partial mash, or even just steeped grain, you could use a lighter ME alongside some medium crystal (say, 40-60-80L), or you could cold-steep a very small quantity of debittered black, say 1 oz, and add that to the boil. It depends on whether you want sweetness. I suspect the amber extracts will be quite sweet, and similar for using crystal for color. An approach of lighter extract + debittered black will give you a drier beer.

By the way, if this is among your first few beers, don't be intimidated about using steeped grain. It's dead simple. (Even partial mash is simple, but steeping grain just requires placing grain in water for an hour, then pouring it through a strainer--or using a grain bag. Doesn't even really matter precisely what the temperature is.)

Back