Beginning (of an obsession)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westsidekef

Reaction score
Hey all!
I've been doing a lot of lurking and little posting since joining HBT. I have learned SO much from this community and it has helped me tremendously on my still short journey into home brewing.

So, what have I done?
Jumped right in with a kit my gf got me from Brooklyn Brew Shop mid-March.

295466_10151455197647633_68213399_n.jpg

This was the Everyday IPA. I was surprised by how good it was despite my attempts to screw it up :) and only 3 of the original 8 bottles are left.

I had SO much fun with this that over the course of the next week I built myself a mash tun from a cooler and bought another 1 Gal fermenter and brewed an Oatmeal Stout with a recipe inspired by someone on HBT.

163542_10151463153837633_198506559_n.jpg

This one is also good, but it's a little...hot? I think it needs to wait a bit.

Followed this up with an Ordinary Bitter. I tried this one last night but forgot to get a picture. This one has a flavour that is probably a little off. It's not undrinkable, but it is definitely something I'll aim to eliminate next time. From my (endless) reading I would guess that I didn't boil it hard enough.

Next up was my "Network Lofty Ale" (named for the condo building in which I live.) It's a somewhat hoppy APA in the ilk of Mill Street's Tankhouse (for any Ontarians here.) It's currently in bottles.

Tonight I am bottling my Bloor Street Brown Ale.
Also in the 3 Gal primary, (oh yeah, I bought a 3 Gal BB somewhere along the way...) is my Beerhound 8. This is a Belgian Strong ale that was supposed to be Beerhound 10, but I somehow grossly miscalculated my water and ended up with a larger batch at a lower gravity. /shrug I'm not worried about it.

Just as we get into this my gf started a nutritional program that basically put beer on her no no list so I made her some rice wine according to a post I found here at HBT. That stuff is good, but it'll knock your socks off! And, we're using one of our jugs to make some pineapple wine.

Anyway, what was my point?
Oh yeah...this is FUN!

tl;dr
I started this crazy hobby 2 months ago and have brewed 6 batches of beer and 2 batches of miscellaneous alcohol...I guess I'm hooked!

Awesome stuff! Looks great. I am from Hamilton! Not far from you at all. I am just getting into all grain. I too have just built a cooler mash tun. I also ordered a 9 Gallon brew kettle from OntarioBeerKegs.com

Check it out its a great site for getting supplies. The prices are great as well.

Happy brewings!!

Howdy, and welcome from NC :)

I agree this is very much an obsession. I think I enjoy brewing the beer just as much, if not more than drinking it!

Back