beer at 76 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I have a three day old fermentation and a 11 day old fermentation in carboys side by side. I wanted to check the taste of the 11 day old one to help learn taste. It tasted kinda oily I guess? I checked the temp and it was at 76 degrees. The three day old very active fermentation waz at 71 degrees. Whats going on? Did the temp lead to the off taste? What do I do now? You guys have been great thanks.

What yeast are you using? What types of beers?

It is probably a bit early to know for sure, but there are a lot of details left out...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by an oily taste, but it is hard to get a handle on flavors in a warm, unfinished, flat beer.

About your temps, you're right that high temps can lead to off flavors. Generally, you want to ferment in the mid - 60s or lower, if possible. Swamp coolers or tubs of water with ice can help.

I have a fermentation chamber set on 67. Probably should have mentioned that. But this is a reason why im so confused about why its hot.

I have a fermentation chamber set on 67. Probably should have mentioned that. But this is a reason why im so confused about why its hot.

Is the 67* the air temp in your chamber or is it measured on the side of the fermenter? The difference can sometimes be significant (warmer on the fermenter).

Its stuck to the side of the fermenter with a piece of a koozee taped over it. Tge 76 degrees was the actual liquid temp

It was stuck on the side of the carboy that was at 71 degrees and it is hooked to the temp controller and it was running cooling down when I checked it. Why would the 11 day old fermentation be so much hotter than the very active 3 day fermentation? And by oily I ment it kinda hangs in the mouth like u swished olive oil around in your mouth

Initial ferment temps on my system typically go up 2-3 degrees on average. So I chill the wort/top off combo down to about 64F to account for it.

I knew fermentation causes heat but i figured the more active the more heat. The 71 degree came out of the blow off tube before it was done and stayed right around 71 degrees. I'm really trying to figure out why the second one in the same conditions with fermentation almost complete had such a temp difference.

Latest posts

Back