Backsweetening effect on F.G. not ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
Hi got a few general questions about backsweetening.
I want to backsweeten a 5 gallon batch of cider with more apple juice, not concentrate, because that is what i have. I will then add to keg and carb up.

If i know my og and f.g. how do i figure out the amount of juice to add to get close to the new f.g.

also does anyone know the f.g. of any commercial ciders like docs or magners. just need to know what to shoot for.

also can i boil the juice to condense it down so it fits in the keg. i have read a few posts about this not being a good idea but who knows maybe some has tried it.

Hi got a few general questions about backsweetening.
I want to backsweeten a 5 gallon batch of cider with more apple juice, not concentrate, because that is what i have. I will then add to keg and carb up.

If i know my og and f.g. how do i figure out the amount of juice to add to get close to the new f.g.

also does anyone know the f.g. of any commercial ciders like docs or magners. just need to know what to shoot for.

also can i boil the juice to condense it down so it fits in the keg. i have read a few posts about this not being a good idea but who knows maybe some has tried it.

Suzan

The commercial ciders can sometimes be very high gravity. (Woodchuck is above 1.030) do you know the gravity of the cider you are sweetening with? If so, its easy to figure out the gravity of the two combined.

That said, I reccommed shooting for a gravity of around 1.010! :)

Latest posts

Back