Question for Hop Spider Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCBrewer

Reaction score
A quick question for those that use a hop spider. Do/did you notice any difference in the hop "efficiency" (sorry, not sure what its called) versus throwing the hops in loose? Do you have to add more hops if you use a spider than you would just adding them loose to get the same hop flavor? Thanks for the input!

Hi Team do you clean out the spider between hop additions? I worry about the spider clogging up and not getting the accurate hop utilisation.
Cheers

I never "cleaned" my spider (6"d x 20"h) during a brew - never even occurred to me.
But I did have to attend to it rather constantly. Every 5 minutes or so I'd lift it to drain, give it a shake to flop the hop pancake over, drop the spider back in the wort and give it a stir with my big spoon. All the while recognizing the 400 micron mesh was getting plugged on the outside by proteins and the like, especially when using oats and/or wheat malt.

There is an alternative that I recently embraced: Hop Stopper

And my implementation... My Hopstopper V2 - On Gas - Implementation

Cheers! (Let your hops swim freeeee! :D)

A quick question for those that use a hop spider. Do/did you notice any difference in the hop "efficiency" (sorry, not sure what its called) versus throwing the hops in loose? Do you have to add more hops if you use a spider than you would just adding them loose to get the same hop flavor? Thanks for the input!

I just moved to one. i brewed last week with it. its a 6x16 300 micron i noticed 0 difference i was also using leaf hops. going with a lager one was the way to go.

Utah biodiesel includes an option for a mini press that fits the filter. not a bad idea.

I never "cleaned" my spider (6"d x 20"h) during a brew - never even occurred to me.
But I did have to attend to it rather constantly. Every 5 minutes or so I'd lift it to drain, give it a shake to flop the hop pancake over, drop the spider back in the wort and give it a stir with my big spoon. All the while recognizing the 400 micron mesh was getting plugged on the outside by proteins and the like, especially when using oats and/or wheat malt.

There is an alternative that I recently embraced: Hop Stopper

And my implementation... My Hopstopper V2 - On Gas - Implementation

Cheers! (Let your hops swim freeeee! :D)

good point on the proteins, i skim it all off but i still had some that liked to collect on the top of the spider.

I usually add hydrated irish moss with 10 minutes left in the boil. Especially with anything using oats, or wheat to a lesser extent, within a couple of minutes there can be ropes of proteins rolling in the boil looking for something to glom onto. The spider was obviously attractive in that regard :) I learned to park the spider in the quietest part of the kettle to avoid the worst of it plugging up the bottom, but it was still unsatisfying...

Cheers!

Hi Team do you clean out the spider between hop additions? I worry about the spider clogging up and not getting the accurate hop utilisation.
Cheers
Funny I was thinking the same a bit back. I ended up changing my process. I have one bag for the boil hops. I then swap to a new bag towards the end of the boil, then toss in the whirlpool hops. Sorry no results to report yet as I just made the change and that beer is not on tap yet.

Back