After kegged and forced carbed aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yensid76

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not posting a stupid question. I brewed an all grain IPA about 6 weeks ago. 2weeks in primary, then 2 weeks in secondary dry hopped, then 2 weeks sitting in keg at room temp. Then carbonated and now in the fridge. But it tastes fruity...kinder a weird mix of fruity and almost plastic-like. My primary ad secondary are both glass carboys. I think my ferment temps were too high. At some point it hit 78. Think that is the cause? Anything I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance...I hope I figure this out, I lov brewing, but have been having rotten luck with the results.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not posting a stupid question. I brewed an all grain IPA about 6 weeks ago. 2weeks in primary, then 2 weeks in secondary dry hopped, then 2 weeks sitting in keg at room temp. Then carbonated and now in the fridge. But it tastes fruity...kinder a weird mix of fruity and almost plastic-like. My primary ad secondary are both glass carboys. I think my ferment temps were too high. At some point it hit 78. Think that is the cause? Anything I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance...I hope I figure this out, I lov brewing, but have been having rotten luck with the results.

Yes, "fruity" probably is fermentation temperature being too warm. I usually ferment most ales at no higher than 68 degrees, and it makes a huge difference.

"Plastic like" is a different issue, and usually comes from using chlorinated water.

Not much you can do about it now, but for next time don't use water with chlorine or chloramines (or remove it with a chloramine tablet) and keep the fermentation temperature under 70 degrees.

Is there anything I can do about the fruity? Take it out of the fridge and let it age longer?

Back