What liquid yeast to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteNMA

Reaction score
Evening all

I'm looking to push the boat out and grab some liquid yeast for upcoming brews, having just had a very pleasant experience with Wyeast/NB 1945 NeoBritannia.

I'm going to pick up a pack of Wy-1010 for Oberon-a-likes and various other wheat beer duties.

I'm willing to grab an extra pack, I'm a big fan of British bitters/ESBs, but think those might be well covered by the 1945. Tempted by the 1469 though, seems to be well liked. Equally I'd be happy to go with a Thames Valley or Burton type if someone makes a good case.

I'm pretty happy with US-05 for American styles, suggestions welcomed for a US style yeast still, but I'm not too sure of the need, I've got about a pint of US-05 slurry from my APA.

Anyone have a particular favourite? I'm putting the order in tomorrow evening so I'm all ears until then.

Evening all

I'm looking to push the boat out and grab some liquid yeast for upcoming brews, having just had a very pleasant experience with Wyeast/NB 1945 NeoBritannia.

I'm going to pick up a pack of Wy-1010 for Oberon-a-likes and various other wheat beer duties.

I'm willing to grab an extra pack, I'm a big fan of British bitters/ESBs, but think those might be well covered by the 1945. Tempted by the 1469 though, seems to be well liked. Equally I'd be happy to go with a Thames Valley or Burton type if someone makes a good case.

I'm pretty happy with US-05 for American styles, suggestions welcomed for a US style yeast still, but I'm not too sure of the need, I've got about a pint of US-05 slurry from my APA.

Anyone have a particular favourite? I'm putting the order in tomorrow evening so I'm all ears until then.

I love 1968 London ESB. Everytime I go out and try something else, I end up back with 1968. It attenuates a bit less than some and I like my English beers a bit on the sweet side. I would also recommend the West Yorksire from Wyeast. It has a lot of interesting character.

I love 1968 London ESB. Everytime I go out and try something else, I end up back with 1968. It attenuates a bit less than some and I like my English beers a bit on the sweet side. I would also recommend the West Yorksire from Wyeast. It has a lot of interesting character.

+1 on the 1968. I have a batch of ESB in the fermenter chamber right now that has some on it. At one week, it's sitting at 1.012.

If you do use 1968, don't be worried when your stir plate starter looks like a cottage cheese beer shake. That's characteristic of this strain. It looks odd enough that I shot a video of it with my phone.

It's hard not to love a good bitter. I'm just hoping that the keg of ESB in my keezer right now lasts long enough for this new batch to finish. It's getting awfully light.

I hope you have better luck with 1010 than I have experienced. For some reason it has never produced what I'm looking for and I've quit using it after 5 mediocre-to-bad batches. Sulfur that just wouldn't quit.

I rather like 3056 for wheats, although if I am going "american" then regular ole us-05 works very nicely.

Back