How long does an extract kit last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAN99

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a beginners setup from Midwest about a year ago and am finally about ready to start my first brew hopefully this week. I hadn't opened the extract kit (autumn amber ale) until a few days ago and noticed it said to refrigerate yeast on arrival and it has an expiration date of 06/2012. I have seen that it is ok to use for a couple years if you refrigerate it, but what if you don't? Should I get a new yeast packet just to be safe? Also, I assume the grains, malt extract and hops are all fine to use but if not let me know what you recommend, thanks!

What temperature has the kit been stored at. High temp/lowest temp it has reached. Most likely the yeast and grains will need to be replaced but the extract might be fine. If the temps have been keep low the grains might be ok if they are whole. If they where crushed then they will need to be replaced. I wouldnt take a chance on ruining a batch with bad yeast so replace it no matter what. IMO

I'd definitely replace the yeast, probably the grains too but I'd guess the extract is OK. You want the first one to be good so you don't wait a year to brew again. Good luck man!

Grains weren't crushed, but I may just replace those too to be safe, I want the brew to turn out halfway decent so I don't blame myself for ruining the batch when it was just expired ingredients...

get new yeast an go with it.
one of the benefits of midway/ahs/williams and others is they move a lot of volume and the kits are fresh and you lost that.

a lot of LHBS store and mass market kits (brewers best) can have a year or so shelf time on them anyways.

Dry yeast and grains are so cheap I would just replace them. About $6 should cover it and there is less chance of making a bad beer. I agree that the extract should be fine.

I used a 2 year old red ale from midwest, and it came out great!

We must have purchased the same Groupon as I bought the same kit and just brewed it last weekend. Everything looked and smelled good. I used dry yeast and it started quickly and looks healthy.

What about the hops? I would have assumed the hops would ho bad.

Pellet hops in a sealed vacuum pack i think would be just fine but cannot speak from experience.I don't brew as often as i'd like but i at least place an order for more ingredients near the end of my bottles (i'm usually drinking my last homebrew while boiling the next batch,,i need to order more beerstuffz

I personally would not hold out much hope for 1+ year old LME. It could taste very extract/twangy.
But it is your first beer and you likely won't notice ha ha. I have no personal experience though.

The dry yeast is likely fine but refrigerate it now. But-- If it is crap Muntons yeast (meaning you did not upgrade to Safale for $1), use it as yeast nutrient by tossing it in the boil at 10 min, and buy good yeast.
Open the hops and smell.. are the cheesy? toss. otherwise freeze them.
Taste the grains. if stale, toss em.

Back