Is Pilsner Urquell a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I thought it was a lager.....I know they use saaz hops, but I have no clue what yeast they use. I was told it is bottom-fermenting yeast...which makes it an ale for sure.

Am I wrong?

Yeah it's a pale lager...lager is referred to as the "bottom-fermenting" yeast. If you don't have lagering capabilities, a kolsch or california ale yeast fermented at the low end of the range should work.

What Bresader says... Bottom fermenting lager yeast (clue's in the name, it's a pilsner...).

I've had good results making a pseudo-lager using Nottingham yeast and fermenting at 14c (57f) with double the normal amount of yeast. I chose Nottingham on recommendation because it ferments out very reliably which makes it a safer bet than some others for the lower temperatures. Other ale yeasts will produce a drier finish at regular temperatures, the ones Brewsader mentions could work.

When I first saw this thread title, my thought was "Mother of God", but, I see the issue now. As already been stated, PU is a lager, bottom fermenting yeast is lager yeast.

Back