DFW - Brew Riot 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkytownBrewyard

Reaction score
Brew Riot 2013 in the Bishop Arts District of Dallas - Info is up and posted. If you've never been, it's fun.

Hi, Friends!

Thank you for your interest in the Bishop Arts Brew Riot and Homebrew Competition!

Our 5th annual Brew Riot will be held Sunday, May 19, 2013, on N. Bishop Avenue from 4 to 8 pm. Homebrewers will be checked in at 2 pm.

Homebrew Competitor Entry Requirements:

• Bring 5 gallons minimum of each brew for People’s Choice judging
  • Register online by May 5, 2013.
  • The fee for entering is $20.00.
  • This contest is open to all amateur home brewers who brew less than 200 gallons of beer, and is restricted to non-commercial, home brewed beers.
  • Beer must be made from the normal alcoholic fermentation of malted barley with hops, or their products, and with or without other malted or unmalted cereals.
Entrants must be 21 years of age or older.

Each registered competitor will receive the following:

• 10’ x 10’ tent
  • 6’ table
  • 2 folding chairs
  • Sample glasses
  • Rinse pitcher

Brew Riot Judging:

The People’s Choice Competition is judged by attendees of the festival. All festival participants will receive one vote. The People’s Choice Competition is mandatory for all entrants.

All brews being entered for Panel Judging will need to be bottled, labeled, and delivered to a designated location by May 12, 2013. Labeling directions and drop off addresses will be emailed to you by May 1, 2013. In the event that you cannot drop the bottles off, a mailing address will be provided.

Judging results will be announced at the festival at 7:30 p.m. on May 19.

If you have any questions, please email: [email protected].

Brew Riot is produced by Go Oak Cliff, a 501c3 organization.

GLELZIil.jpg

Really enjoyed it last year and this year it looks to be better. I want to enter, but am moving to a new house in April and that is gonna disrupt a lot of my brewing. Hopefully I will be able to enter though.

I should do it this year. Thought about it last year and just never got around to it. Now, what to brew...

So it's one half competition, one half festival?
Pretty much. They have tables set up for the homebrewers and attendees can walk around sample the beer with the small serving cups they are given. Last year each person had a marble that they would give to their favorite brewer for the People's Choice award.

I know this isnt the first year the Brew Riot has happened, but I have a question about this as a home brewer....

Is this allowable under Texas laws on homebrewing? What title are they using to bypass the homebrewing laws? Competitons are different than serving homebrew to the public in a public place...even as a sampling.

I am wanting to join this, because it sounds like fun...I just want to know how this protects us a homebrewer.

Has anyone entered Brew Riot just a single person? Most of the participants that are already signed up, seem to be homebrew clubs. If I do enter, I will only be able to enter one beer and only have 5-gallons because I am limited by cooled fermentation space. I kinda don't want to show up and then run out of beer well before everyone else does for the festival.

Has anyone entered Brew Riot just a single person? Most of the participants that are already signed up, seem to be homebrew clubs. If I do enter, I will only be able to enter one beer and only have 5-gallons because I am limited by cooled fermentation space. I kinda don't want to show up and then run out of beer well before everyone else does for the festival.

I'll be signing up solo. I will be entering a couple different brews though. I already have a couple started and may do another this weekend. Keg space is my limiting factor, every keg I enter means one less on tap!

I went ahead and entered. I think I can get one batch brewed and bottled by the entry time for judging and have a second batch ready by the time of the festival. Look for Zreet St. Brewing!

I know this isnt the first year the Brew Riot has happened, but I have a question about this as a home brewer....

Is this allowable under Texas laws on homebrewing? What title are they using to bypass the homebrewing laws? Competitons are different than serving homebrew to the public in a public place...even as a sampling.

I am wanting to join this, because it sounds like fun...I just want to know how this protects us a homebrewer.

I've wondered this as well. My assumption is that since this the 2nd or 3rd year and TABC hasn't shut it down, there must be something in the code allowing it.

I'm entering with one beer, although I might try to get a second together. Space is my issue as well.

Whats the protocol on serving different beers at the festival? I am entering my only beer in the stout category but I want to serve variations of it at the festival to have a variety. Or can you only serve what you enter in for judging?

Whats the protocol on serving different beers at the festival? I am entering my only beer in the stout category but I want to serve variations of it at the festival to have a variety. Or can you only serve what you enter in for judging?

If the past is any indication to this year's event, you just show up, set up at your table, and serve away. We, as a club, have gone in with 15 taps-a-blazin', regardless of entries. The stuff you put on tap will basically potentially help you with the "People's Choice" vote, as ticket holders are given a marble upon entry, and you have a jar for their marbles.

I've signed up and it's just me. I'm entered as Holy Brewing. I'm taking two brews with me but have no idea what I've gotten myself into. Would you guys that have done it before have any suggestions on what else to bring? Extra stuff like paper towels or a Tablecloth? Signage?

Looking forward to it. Hope to see y'all there.

I've signed up and it's just me. I'm entered as Holy Brewing. I'm taking two brews with me but have no idea what I've gotten myself into. Would you guys that have done it before have any suggestions on what else to bring? Extra stuff like paper towels or a Tablecloth? Signage?

Looking forward to it. Hope to see y'all there.

I'm in the same boat. I know they said that they'll have table, 2 chairs, tasting glasses, and a rinse pitcher. I dont know if they'll have banners/signs/etc. for each brewrer. I'm also bringing my brew in bottles because I'm not quite kegging yet. Would bringing it in coolers with ice be the best option?

I'm in the same boat. I know they said that they'll have table, 2 chairs, tasting glasses, and a rinse pitcher. I dont know if they'll have banners/signs/etc. for each brewrer. I'm also bringing my brew in bottles because I'm not quite kegging yet. Would bringing it in coolers with ice be the best option?

My group participated last year, and we are going again this year. Each setup is unique, and it is up to you how complicated you want to get. There is everything from a single guy at a table serving beer out of a bottle, to people with 10+ kegs, serving through portable cooling systems, and one group I saw with a huge galvanized water trough full of ice and beer. Some people have banners and giveaways, some people have boards posted with their beer descriptions, and some people don't have anything but their smile and free beer.

They provide the items you listed, but one thing I would really recommend bringing is extra water for you to: A) drink, and B) rinse out people's cups. It gets hot out there, lots of people are drinking, and it helps to have water available along with your beer. How you dress up your spot is up to you. This is more of a social event and fundraiser. At the end of the day, you are giving away beer for free, so no one is going to complain.

Today is the day! Good luck to all competing and make sure to come by Zreet St. Brewing and say hello!

Congratulations to Holy on his Swamp Donkey getting 3rd place. If I remember correctly, I think it was 3rd in IPAs.

Well done, sir.

Thanks to all of the advice on here. Didn't place but still had a great time with lots of compliments as well as 28 tokens. I even got to serve my beer to local celebrity, Vaden Todd Lewis of the Toadies. I'll be back next year and do even better!

Holy Brewing Here, Our team had a blast Sunday and we were lucky enough to place with Swamp Donkey, which ended up as third in Lagers. I enjoyed meeting you guys at necktie and trooper. Hope to see y'all again.

I didn't get much of a chance to leave my booth, so I didn't see many others. Didn't realize someone here was for Neck Tie. I was across the street at Zreet St.

I didn't get much of a chance to leave my booth, so I didn't see many others. Didn't realize someone here was for Neck Tie. I was across the street at Zreet St.

I was one of the guys with Necktie Brewery. We definitely talked. I had the handlebar moustache going, so I'm assuming you remember me. Great to meet other brewers in the real world.

I was one of the guys with Necktie Brewery. We definitely talked. I had the handlebar moustache going, so I'm assuming you remember me. Great to meet other brewers in the real world.

Yep! I definitely remember you. Next year I'm going to have more helpers so I can go around and talk to more of the other brewers.

Is there any other festival like this in Texas? I had a blast and don't want to wait a year to do it again.

Forgive the big post but this is my wrap up of the day.

As someone new to home brewing only friends have tried my beers and they all seem to like it. I bought some cornies from a guy in Lakewood (shame I can't remember his name) and he told me about brew riot. I told my wife about and she talked me into entering. She had a logo made, ordered some stickers and made shirts for all our friends who were going. She even talked my parents into flying in for it from South Carolina and her sister from Tampa.

Living just 2 blocks away I have seen margarita festivals and what not where teams run out real quick. I figured I would take 3 kegs (a czech pilsner, blonde ale and a hard cider) so I could last all day and have a chance at the peoples choice vote at least. So I go ahead and sign up, get some batches kegged and ready. The day of the festival I walk down with my dog to get my spot. Stacey tells me I am in 13 and it is up on seventh street. I follow the numbers and end up caddy corner to the stage. I was thinking man this is a primo spot. I look over and there is a group setting up 2 oak barrel kegerators with multiple taps on each and I tell my dog, "looks like we are in for a long day."

So my dad and I get all my stuff setup and as more teams file in I realize my 3 beers are nothing. There were tons of cool setups. I didn't get to go around and talk much since I was a one man show up until game time.

At 4 my wife and her friends roll up and people start coming in. I start pouring and all my stuff appears overcarbed! I start freaking out then turn the regulator down to 4 psi and everything settles out. Me and a friend are pouring left and right and everyone is saying how good my stuff is. It was making my day! Not getting a lot of tokens but to here people say they liked my beer was reward enough. I met a lot of people and talked to quite a bit from my street, just a couple over. After an hour and a half the blonde keg floated. That was quickly followed by the pils and the hard cider. By 6pm we were out of brew and just amazed at how cool everything was.

I went and asked the staff if I should turn in my tokens and if I needed to stay, thinking I saw more tokens in others containers. They said I could or I could just close down the table and hang out. We decided on the later with everyone else going around sampling others beers and just hanging out. At about 7 the wife and everyone left, but at that point my dad and I wanted to stay and see who won the popular vote.

As they started reading out who one on the ales they red about a little red rooster and I got excited, our name was Cockeyed Brews and we had a metal rooster on our table. Then I realized he was talking about someone else and I just laughed. Then came specialty beer category and they read off Hazel's Hand Grenade as second place!!! That was my stuff!!!! Holy cow I started to walk up to see if I got a ribbon or anything but I couldn't see anyone passing anything out. I walked back to our booth as they went over Belgian and French and IPAs. I decided to walk back up front just to see if there was a ribbon and as they were reading out Lagers I heard CP3.0 first place!!!! Another one of my beers!!!! I couldn't believe it and I asked Stacey if he just called my beer and she said yup. She handed me a wooden plaque and we took a couple pictures. I asked her if I got a ribbon or anything for second and she said no, but at that point nothing mattered!

I never would have thought I would place even 1 of my beers but to get 2. Oh man. There was a victory cheer as I walked into my backyard, where all my supporters had retired to earlier for more of my beverages.

It was such a blast, even had I not won anything the day was long but super fun. Everyone I know had a great time. I did get to talk to a couple different people about there beers after we were out so that was cool.

All I can say is thank you to Go Oak Cliff and can't wait for next year!

Anyone else get the scores back already? I averaged a 32.2 on my Milk Stout. For my first competition, I'm pretty proud! It was obvious which judges were professionals and which weren't though. I definitely have a few improvements to make.

Does anyone know who East Fork Brewing was? They won the Sweet Stout category and I want to know how close I was.

Just got mine back today.

Cider scored 37, 41, 44, 47 and took second place in category.
Blonde Ale scored 26, 29
Czech Style Pilsner scored 43, 43, 29, 28. I think the second bottle was bad as it got noted for being a green bottle causing it to skunk? I didn't know a bottle would cause it to skunk, but I am thinking I must not have got it cleaned all the way. This did win the lager category though.

Overall this sparked my interest in brewing and I intend on entering all the Texas based BCJP judged events just to keep check on what I am doing.

Back