Any phone apps that help with a tasting party?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I plan on having about 10 friends over to blind taste a large number of IPA's. We could just use paper to score each beer, but it occurred to me that phone apps could play a big role here. If everyone logged there scores into an app, or onto a shared document - it would take seconds to compile them at the end to see if any trends emerged.
Part of me is thinking of just using google docs (as that works on droid and apple devices) but does anyone know if someone has created an app like this already?

A shared PC or laptop/tablet with a spreadsheet would be easy to caculate, though you could see others scores which may persuade ratings..

Are you rating homebrew or commercial? If you are doing commercial beer you can use ratebeer. You can post your review for others to see and bring them up for your future reference. It's also nice to scan beers when your looking to buy. As far as homebrew goes, I'm not sure. If there is a good app to keep track I would be interested as well.

Search for "free online polls". There are websites that will allow you to post polls for people to fill out. Make a short questionairre and post it. Save the web address.

Next, search "free QR code generator" and use any of those sites to make a QR code using the web address of your poll. Put the QR code on the bottle or whatever.

Have your taste panel scan the QR code with their smartphones. It will open up to your poll for the beer and they fill it out.

After your taste test is over, you can go to the poll website and read/get stats on your polls.

That's all I got.

Good suggestions. I think I am going to create a Google Docs survey, that each participant can submit for each 'blind' beer. I can then have it submit them to a central sheet that people can't see until it's over with - and then it is just a quick formula or two to take the averages.
If it goes well, I can figure out how to share it with others as well.

Back