Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two stories along these lines:
1. Cascadian Dark Lager- 3 weeks after bottling almost no hop flavor, just like a slightly hoppy stout. 6 weeks post, the hops have come to the fore and it's quite enjoyable now.
2. Mocha Cherry Stout- 3 weeks post, way too strong with the coffee and tasted like compost. Almost dumped this one. But now 6 weeks post, the compost flavor is gone, and the coffee is toning down. Still not enough chocolate notes, but getting better every week.

I brewed an extract Dunkel-Weisen, using LME, and probably scorched the extract. I put it in at the first, and boiled it really good. So now my kegged Dunkel is pretty harsh. Will it get better as it ages in the keg?

I brewed an extract Dunkel-Weisen, using LME, and probably scorched the extract. I put it in at the first, and boiled it really good. So now my kegged Dunkel is pretty harsh. Will it get better as it ages in the keg?

If it's scorched, that probably won't improve.

abSchenk said:
Okay here's one for you, I brewed a batch of APA before I left to visit family over the new year (which by the way was way darker than it should have been, a question for another thread I suppose). When I left super early on Dec 26th there was little to no sign of fermentation munch to my chagrin. It was brewed on Dec 22 (i live at 8750', my fermentations seem to lag), but I hoped to be through the thick of it before I left and was going to keg on my return. Well, apparently some time after we left the house fermentation went gang busters as it blew the stopper right out of my carboy :( On return to the homestead on Jan. 5 I found my beer with a thick, dried foam around the carboy opening (almost completely capped itself off, but not quite), I'm guessing it spent about 7 days like that. .... so, I'm wondering, do I siphon this off to a secondary & wait to see if anything nasty grows?, do I dump a couple of Lambics in there and try to sour it?, do I keg it & hope for the best in a couple of weeks?, or should I bottle it & forget it for a year?....any thoughts?

Hi All!! Many of you chimed in on this one, and all of you convinced me to keep it, well, the results are .... It was one of the best beers I've brewed yet!!! Thank you all for installing Inge the confidence I needed, what a shame it would've been if this went down the drain!

Cheers!

New brewers, and those who have ever dumped a beer, or contemplated dumping a beer come pull up some chairs, Uncle Revvy has a story he wants to tell you....It is a tale that teaches some important lessons...

1)Never give up on a beer.

2)Never dump a batch unless it has mold or other noticeable signs of infection confirmed by a brewer with more experience than you. Or if it tastes, as Evan says, "like Satan's anus."

3)Always see your bottled beer through the complete conditioning/carb process....And if it still taste "funny" give it a couple more months.

4)Never ever panic about making mistakes and ruining your beer.

5)Never ever believe that you beer is frail, weak or easily "damaged." It really is hard to ruin your beer, no matter what bonehead n00b mistake you may think you made...

6)Have patience....have Patience...have Patience....

7)Give the yeasties the props they deserve, never doubt them, and Never Ever Rush Them!!! Let them do the job they are made to do...and let them see that job through til the end...(That means leave them at least a week beyond fermentation to clean up...or like me, leave it for 3-4 weeks.)

So here's the story...

Once upon a time, on April 7th to be exact, I brewed a batch of my house amber ale, a simple extract with grains recipe that tastes dead on like Bell's Amber Ale.

I pitched it with a batch of Pacman Yeast that I harvested from a couple bottles of Shakespeare Stout.

On April the 8th we had a surprise heat snap during the day while I was at work. I hadn't yet set up any summer temp control. My loft faces West....When I left for work it was in the low 40's....But with the sudden heat snap, when I came home in the Evening it was 88 degrees in my loft....Think about this....I pitched my yeast the afternoon before, and when I came home the ambient temp of the loft, with the thermostat located right next to my brew closet read 88 degrees during the most crucial period of fermentation, the first 12 hours.

Remember fermentation is thermo elastic...it gives off heat during fermentation...so if the outside surface of the bucket was reading 88...consider that the fermentation temp was another 5-10 degrees higher inside the bucket...The mid to upper 90's are definitely not Ideal temps for ale yeasts...

Yeast at too high a temp produces all matter of off flavors.

Add to the fact that I was not necessarily using a "clean" strain of pacman like out of a smack pack....this was bottle harvested, and since I don't have a "clean room" lord knows what could have been growing along side the pacman.....But either way growing from a couple slugs of yeast, into a large starter...even slowly is going to mean that there is a greater potential to have greatly more stressed yeast, than from a tube or smack pack....

Stressed Yeast can also produce off flavors...

So 3 weeks later when I went to bottle it I noticed a taste that could best be described as "bubblegum." Definitely NOT the post fermentation taste of other versions of this beer.... I couldn't taste the delicious Cascade hops, I couldn't taste any caramelness of the malts....I only tasted bubblegum.....

OK kids....don't be shy...How many of you would have either dumped this batch....Or at least started an "is my beer ruined" thread? Uh huh...come on I know there's at least one of you....Ah, there....Thanks for being brave and acknowledging it...look at all the others who now stuck their hands up....

So what did I do? I went ahead a bottled it....Did I taste it after one week? NO....Two? Uh uh....Did I open one after the third week? You bet your sweet aunties panties I waited three weeks before even opening a single bottle....

What do you think I found? A perfect beer? Or more Bubblegum?

Yep...bubblegum it was....Both in taste and smell...After all that was a hot fermentation, or maybe the yeast WAS screwed up....I'll never know WHAT exactly went wrong....

But I didn't give up on this beer....back in the brew closet it went...A few weeks went by while it sat dark and forgotten in my closet...Until a few weeks back, maybe mid june, when my pipeline hit a crucial low...

I dug the bottles out of the closet and started drinking them....They were less bubblegummy...but still the taste was noticeable...It didn't make you want to hurl...but it just wasn't that great a beer...but I drank them all over the ensuing weeks, til my other, better beers came online...Soon the bad beer was long gone and forgotten...

Or so I thought....

Friday after bottling a batch of beer, I was shuffling my storage closet around, bring beers that will be ready soon to the front...And grabbing a few different bottles to chill up for the weekend...To my surprise there was one bottle with the code for the bubblegum beer on the cap.

It went into the fridge with the rest of them.

Tonight when I got home I reached in the fridge and grabbed the first bottle I could see without reading the caps, and cracked it open and had a long after work draw.....

It tasted dead on like my Amber Ale...So good I had to make sure it wasn't from the batch before the bubblegum batch. But no...it was indeed the bottle I had dug out of the back of the closet on Friday...

It tasted beautifully of Caramel malts and had the crisp bite of cascade hops...It tasted and smelled like it should have, maybe even better than all the other batches of it (perhaps because of the pacman yeast)....I could have submitted it for competition, I may not have placed but I wouldn't have had to hang my head in shame either...

It had amazingly transformed, thanks to our friends the yeasties into a crystal clear, and clean tasting beer, exhibiting no off flavors, no hint of any bubblegum...no hint of high fermentation/fusel alchohols...

It was simply delicious beer!!!!!:tank:

People I can't stress this enough...Do not dump a beer because it doesn't taste good right away...even after 3 weeks...just stick it aside, let the yeasts keep swimming around cleaning up their messes (both in the carboy and the bottle) let the Co2 in the beer do it's thing as well helping the "Volatile chemicals break down into more benign ones, and longer protein chains settle out."

Or like spaghetti sauce and chilli, let the flavors marry and balance out...

You will be surprise at the magic that happens when you get out of the way...

The sad ending of the story is that the old saying is true;

That "the best beer in any batch, is the last one...":(

So stick at least one beer of every batch aside, no matter how bad it was, or how dissapointing, put a date on the bottle...and one day, 6 months or a year down the road, chill them down...and savor the magic!

You won't regret it.

:mug:

(Story time is over, kiddies, it is time for Ale and Cookies! And if you like this story, then Prost the thread, so more people can read it, and maybe together, we can help stamp out the alcohol abuse that is prematurely dumped beer!)

Edit There's an update to THIS beer here, Revvy's further adventures with this beer. It wasn't gone.

Hi Revvy, Thanks once again for this thread. I have a story for you:

---- EARLY JANUARY -----
I bottled my american ale half way through the carboy since I ran out of bottles, quite a stupid thing to do. After few days, a mold developed at the surface of the leftover beer in the carboy as in the pic. I cracked open 1 bottle only to find it was sour as hell and no signs of carbonation/head even after 3 months in the bottle!

----- A MONTH AGO------
I added some honey to the second half (left over from bottling the first half, which was infected with pellicin in the carboy) and a packet of safale dry yeast. It fermented for a day and showed no spores post addition of the yeast.

----- 2 WEEKS AGO -----------
I bottled the second half 2 weeks back (added priming sugar to the bottles individually).

----PRESENT DAY------
I finally cracked open 1 bottle after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. The results are astounding. As you can see from the image, my beer has transformed from pellicle - to - undrinkably sour - to - delicious beer with an incredibly think head very similar to belgium beers. In fact the head was so thick I needed a spoon to show me the way :ban:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm a noob to the site and the world of brewing. I made a Saison about 3 weeks ago. Been sitting in the primary. Racked into a secondary to let it age for a bit. Got so excited at how it tasted when I opened the primary and sampled that I forgot to sanitize the outside of the siphon tube. Ran sanitized the inside of the tube but forgot to soak the outside. Didn't realize what I did until it was to late. Very worried that I ruined it. everything else that came into contact with it was sanitized. Could cost a great batch of Saison.

I'm a noob to the site and the world of brewing. I made a Saison about 3 weeks ago. Been sitting in the primary. Racked into a secondary to let it age for a bit. Got so excited at how it tasted when I opened the primary and sampled that I forgot to sanitize the outside of the siphon tube. Ran sanitized the inside of the tube but forgot to soak the outside. Didn't realize what I did until it was to late. Very worried that I ruined it. everything else that came into contact with it was sanitized. Could cost a great batch of Saison.
ain't got nothing to worry about

i literally sat a beer (edit: wort) outside with no airlock and no yeast for a week and couldn't manage to pick up a decent infection.

I threw together a bunch of stuff I had at the house, and the result is a nice smelling, and good looking wheat beer. ABV about 2.5%. I don't think any amount of time will fix that.

ain't got nothing to worry about

i literally sat a beer (edit: wort) outside with no airlock and no yeast for a week and couldn't manage to pick up a decent infection.

Reading this thread I found that I would almost have to work at it to mess it up. Thanks for the confidence! haha

Hmmm. I can get a pellicle in a few days down here. I like your pluckiness, but I think you are rolling dice there. Best to keep to a strict cleaning/sanitation regimen.

Been a while since I last posted, but still brewing up a storm. Got another one for the 'Don't Dump It!": Made a all Amarillo/IIPA SMaSH and when I went to dry hop I could found it to have a on obvious infection of some kind (a milky, wax like growth sitting on top of the beer). I decided to skip try dry hopping and racked it too bottles and hoping for the best, though the smell it smelled like paint remover at the time.

At 3 weeks after bottling I tried one and it tasted akin to nail polish remover (right down the sink with that bottle). A couple weeks later I asked my wife to toss a couple beers in the fridge for me while I was at the office and one of them was this beer. I decided to try it again and to my delight it had gone from nearly undrinkable to an okay tasting IIPA. A couple weeks later I had another bottle and all signs of that nasty nail polish remover taste had disappeared, replaced with something of a boozy flavour that was really did not detract from the beer at all. Certainly not the best beer in my basement, but certainly one I can enjoy.

Im a relatively new home-brewer and just made a heff batch everything went well up until day 2 of primary fermenting. Yeast went crazy and blew the cork and blowoff tube off the carboy, bew beer and foam everywhere in the fermenting fridge. Day 3 once again went crazy and repeated day 2's problems. day 4 no problems, day 5 fridge tripped breaker and spent 6+ hours at 80 degrees with the cork blown off and more foam everywhere. day 6 seems to have no issues yet. Should i be concerned? bubbles are still forming out the blowoff cap every 15 sec or so... Any advice is helpful.

knoxxy04 said:
Im a relatively new home-brewer and just made a heff batch everything went well up until day 2 of primary fermenting. Yeast went crazy and blew the cork and blowoff tube off the carboy, bew beer and foam everywhere in the fermenting fridge. Day 3 once again went crazy and repeated day 2's problems. day 4 no problems, day 5 fridge tripped breaker and spent 6+ hours at 80 degrees with the cork blown off and more foam everywhere. day 6 seems to have no issues yet. Should i be concerned? bubbles are still forming out the blowoff cap every 15 sec or so... Any advice is helpful.

Nope, there was enough co2 being produced to protect your beer, the higher ferm temp may produce some off flavors.

Next time make sure to do a blow off tube so you won't have these probs.
you will be fine

thanks moscoeb, funny thing is i had a blow off tube but it kept blowing off due to it being too active.

thanks again!

I'm sure someone who knows more can tell you which off flavors you may get, but you should still be fine.
It will make beer!

Newer brewer, but I thought I'd relate an experience along these lines.

On my third ever batch of beer, and my first hefeweizen, I made the mistake of leaving my bottling bucket spigot open when transferring the beer from the fermenter.

Ugh! Not only did I have a sticky mess on the floor, I lost an unknown amount of priming sugar. Since it was impossible to know how much I'd lost I couldn't replace it (didn't want to create gushers if I added too much priming sugar back in).

So I just bottled and mini-kegged it up.

About 1-2 weeks later, I tapped my first mini-keg from this batch, and it was hopelessly flat. There was some very small amount of carbonation, but not nearly enough, and no head to it at all.

I drank it anyway (reserving my other homebrews for guests).

A couple of batches of homebrew (and perhaps another 4 weeks or so later), I was running out of my 'better' beers to drink, so tapped the second mini-keg from the flat batch.

Guess what? It was carbonated, and had a nice, frothy head! No, it wasn't quite up to the levels I was going for before I lost the priming sugar, but the additional time made a distinct difference.

Cheers!

Generally, a hefe fermented warm is perhaps likely to produce more esters (banana) that it would have at a cooler temperature. Fortunately, hefes are a style which calls for some of that banana aroma, even if you get just a tad bit more of it than you otherwise would have.

Also, the earlier in the fermentation process, the more critical the fermentation temperatures are. That your high temperature was on day 5 (as opposed to earlier) and was only there for 6+ hours, and not days, leads me to believe that what ever off flavors or aromas you might get, will likely be minimal, if even detectable at all.

Generally, a hefe fermented warm is perhaps likely to produce more esters (banana) that it would have at a cooler temperature. Fortunately, hefes are a style which calls for some of that banana aroma, even if you get just a tad bit more of it than you otherwise would have.

Also, the earlier in the fermentation process, the more critical the fermentation temperatures are. That your high temperature was on day 5 (as opposed to earlier) and was only there for 6+ hours, and not days, leads me to believe that what ever off flavors or aromas you might get, will likely be minimal, if even detectable at all.

Yeah I was going after the banana flavors but was trying to keep them more mellow fermenting at a slightly cooler temp. I am going for a Pina Colada style summer hefe, by adding pineapple and toasted coconut in the secondary.

I was just hoping it wasnt contaminated from the blow-off tube keep blowing off and letting whatever fall in or whatever, but from what i read and you guys responded with i have nothing to worry.

Cheers

Hi folks, I'm Jim, and I'm a beer dumper.......
I've always been in Revvy's camp of never dumping your beer, but I finally have a batch that I dumped today. It's a Mocha Cherry Stout that I brewed back in February. My sin was goofing on the coffee addition. Last year I did a batch that was nice but could have used a little more coffee flavor, so this year I doubled the amount and added grounds (plus the coldbrew) to secondary. Horrible, almost compost flavor when I bottled it, but I figured it would mellow. Well, no. I've tried a bottle every couple weeks and they've all been bad. Stupid, stupid me. Finally, after 5 months in the bottles I've given up and tossed a case and a sixer. Still going to keep a sixer plus 3, 22ozers for marinating. Oh well, hopefully I've learned for next year's batch.:(

I have to confess...I dumped a batch last night. It was a batch of cornerstone ale that I fermented in the same bucket as my kombucha had been in.

I was sure I had used enough sani brew to more than do the job, but I guess kombucha is quite the hardy culture.

The brew tasted like sour sour k-tea, vinegar basically. Sigh, time to replace that bucket to keep enough of a pipeline for beer.

Cheapo said:
I have to confess...I dumped a batch last night. It was a batch of cornerstone ale that I fermented in the same bucket as my kombucha had been in.

I was sure I had used enough sani brew to more than do the job, but I guess kombucha is quite the hardy culture.

The brew tasted like sour sour k-tea, vinegar basically. Sigh, time to replace that bucket to keep enough of a pipeline for beer.

Never ferment in plastic buckets/carboys. Bacteria will trap in tiny crevices and could remain even after a good sanitation.
I use a borosilicate glass (pyrex) carboy which is an overkill as its quite expensive. However the benefit of that is the carboy is extremely light, strong and has a very smooth inner surface preventing bacteria from forming inside. Big breweries use a brew kettle that is very smooth even at the corners. Use a glass carboy next time, good luck !

JimRausch said:
Hi folks, I'm Jim, and I'm a beer dumper.......
I've always been in Revvy's camp of never dumping your beer, but I finally have a batch that I dumped today. It's a Mocha Cherry Stout that I brewed back in February. My sin was goofing on the coffee addition. Last year I did a batch that was nice but could have used a little more coffee flavor, so this year I doubled the amount and added grounds (plus the coldbrew) to secondary. Horrible, almost compost flavor when I bottled it, but I figured it would mellow. Well, no. I've tried a bottle every couple weeks and they've all been bad. Stupid, stupid me. Finally, after 5 months in the bottles I've given up and tossed a case and a sixer. Still going to keep a sixer plus 3, 22ozers for marinating. Oh well, hopefully I've learned for next year's batch.:(

Hi Jim, I didn't know you could add stuff to the secondary other than hops (dry hopping). I think stuff should be added at during wort boiling. Just a thought!

Hi Jim, I didn't know you could add stuff to the secondary other than hops (dry hopping). I think stuff should be added at during wort boiling. Just a thought!

It is common to rack to secondary on top of fruit, oak chips and other things.

Never ferment in plastic buckets/carboys. Bacteria will trap in tiny crevices and could remain even after a good sanitation.
I use a borosilicate glass (pyrex) carboy which is an overkill as its quite expensive. However the benefit of that is the carboy is extremely light, strong and has a very smooth inner surface preventing bacteria from forming inside. Big breweries use a brew kettle that is very smooth even at the corners. Use a glass carboy next time, good luck !

There is nothing wrong with using buckets. Just don't scrub them with anything that will scratch them. You can get them clean without much effort or scrubbing.

kombat said:
I don't know of any professional brewery that ferments in their brew kettle.

They boil in their brew kettles, but ferment in cylindroconical fermenters (stainless steel or plastic).

Sorry about that! I meant the same - cylindroconical fermenters!

logan3825 said:
There is nothing wrong with using buckets. Just don't scrub them with anything that will scratch them. You can get them clean without much effort or scrubbing.

While it's true that scratching will make things worse, plastic has more propensity to develop scratches/tiny cracks than glass ever could! Also unlike buckets, glass is transparent and you'd get a good view of active fermentation and infection if any! I just happen to be a big fan of glass carboys :)

While it's true that scratching will make things worse, plastic has more propensity to develop scratches/tiny cracks than glass ever could! Also unlike buckets, glass is transparent and you'd get a good view of active fermentation and infection if any! I just happen to be a big fan of glass carboys :)

Food grade plastic only develops cracks over a very long period of time or if you misstreat them. I just want to make sure that nobody thinks you have to use one or the other.

Honestly I love the plastic buckets myself. I wouldn't mind using the glass if it weren't for cleaning the krausen all contortionist style after. I have a bad back so homebrewing is one area I do my best to avoid as much lifting as I can too, and plastic makes things so much easier.

I clean my carboys with oxyclean, and when that's done I rinse them out and run some Starsan through. This combo took off a year-old spot of yeast sludge from the time I bought a better bottle and forgot about my glass one without cleaning it first. Not really a problem lifting-wise, so long as you can sit next to the carboy on the porch steps and rock it back and forth for ten minutes.

I've made a couple beers which I don't think time can heal. My first beers where I boiled too much lme in too little water and the ones where I fermented too high. Time can't save these but I won't dump them. I try about one a month.

logan3825 said:
Food grade plastic only develops cracks over a very long period of time or if you misstreat them. I just want to make sure that nobody thinks you have to use one or the other.

In think I would rather risk an infection than an amputation.

Latest posts

Back