*What percent of total IBUs should come from first hop addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkravitz13

Reaction score
hey all,

when planning your recipes, especially for hoppy pale ales, @ approximately what percent of your total bitterness do you like to get from your first hop addition (usually at 60 or 90 mins)?

ive been seeing varying numbers. some people like a 60/40 split. this means 60% of your total intended IBUs is generated in the beginning of the boil while the remaining 40% is generated at 30 mins or less. I'm also seeing 80/20 split too.

what do you usually go for?

Through trial and error I think I like the 80/20 split better. I used to go 60/40 or even 40/60 and found the beers to be hoppy but not bitter. I prefer a nice firm bitterness with a little hop flavor and a lot of aroma.

I've always thought of it in ounces per addition, rather than IBU's. Granted, different hops have different AA%, and thus will add varying amount of IBU's. However, the later additions are not there for IBU's ... they are there for hop oils to add flavor & aroma. IBU's are incidental at some level...

My basic rule of thumb for a normal 5-gallon APA is about 2oz of hops total. About 3/4 to 1 oz for bittering. The rest spread around at 10-mins or less.

For a basic IPA, I target 6-8 oz in total... 1.5oz at 60, maybe 1-2 oz at 30, the rest late boil. Then, dry hop with at least 2oz of hops.

There are many many ways to 'hop that beer'. These are just my quick rules of thumb that I like.

I usually start a recipe by looking at other recipes out there (especially ones that are well responded to here) and start off by mimicking their hops schedules, etc. Take good notes on brew day and during tasting. Repeat as necessary! (The best part!)

:mug:
--LexusChris

Latest posts

Back