Buddy coming home from deployment - brewing his favorite beer, Duvel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was hoping I could get a critique of my proposed Duvel clone recipe.

• 4.5 lbs Extra light LME
  • 2 lbs Wheat LME
  • 1 lb. Cara-Pils
  • 1.5 oz Saaz (90)

Pitch WY1388 at 65, primary ferment until activity slows way down. Then add 1.5 lbs of corn sugar, and 1 lb. of table sugar. Finish the secondary fermentation at around 65-75, trying to maintain a steady increase in temperature the entire course of fermentation. Rack to a secondary, and toss it in my fridge for 2 weeks (45 F). Take it back out for a week at 65. Bottle at 4 volumes of CO2. Cold condition in bottles for 2-3 weeks, and see how it turns out.

I'm relatively new (This will be my 11th brew) and I'm all ears. I have an 8-gal kettle and am stuck with extract + grains right now.

I've done a fair amount of google searching for a recipe, and they are vary wildly, so this is my take on it. Again, very open to suggestion.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1699060

Found this from the NorBrewer site:

From BLAM:

1.069 - 1.006
83% Pils
17% Dextrose
Styrian Goldings and Saaz hops - 30 IBUs
WY1388
Pitched at 61 to 64 - Rises to 79 to 84 in 120 hours

Cold conditioned for 3 weeks below 32*

How do I make that into an extract + grain recipe?

Sorry I don't have any useful input on your recipe as I am a relative newbie and am unfamiliar with that particular brew. However, I love what you're doing for your friend; please extend my gratitude to him for his service!

I think it will be hard to make with all extract. Have you ever done boil in a bag? If it were me, I'd mash as much belgian pilsner I could, figure out how much extra gravity you need and supplement with the extra light DME.

I farted around with beer smith a little and I bet you can mash about 6lbs pilsner BIAB method and use about 3.5lbs DME for the grain bill. Add the sugar and you're all set.

If you have a bucket you could put some wort in, you could probably mash about 12 lbs of pilsner malt in a bag, drain that first wort into a bucket and "batch sparge" with the bag back in the kettle. Drain and add the first runnings back into the kettle.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll get the right character without at least some pilsner malt in there.

Good luck! Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll be appreciated.

p.s. don't forget to mash real low (147-149) and do a 90 minute boil.

I've modified my recipe, with the help of a guy on reddit, but he's also here: homebrewdad. I modified my hopville recipe to as follows:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1699060

Sure thing.

Again, this is a scaled recipe, originally from Jamil Zainasheff.

Batch size: 5.5 gallons

Efficiency: 74%

OG: 1.074

FG: 1.007

ABV: 8.8%

Color: 3.6 SRM

IBU: 22.3 (Jamil's number is a bit different, but that's what I get from BeerSmith)

Boil time: 90 minutes (pilsner malt requires a longer boil to drive off DMS)

Grain: 10 pounds pilsner malt (Belgian would theoretically be the best, bu I had to use German, which I understand to be essentially indistinguishable)

Hops: 2.59 oz Saaz (3.2% AA) @ 60 minutes (note that my Saaz has a rather low alpha acid content. If yours are higher - they often go up to 5% - you'll need to use less total hops. I can help you scale the amount if you need it.)

Table sugar - 3 pounds. Added to fermenter.

Mash at 149 degrees for 90 minutes (as opposed to the standard 60).

Boil for 90 minutes, adding your hops with 60 minutes left in the boil. I personally add a tablespoon of Irish moss at 15 minutes left to help with clarity.

Note that if you elect to add your sugar to the fermenter instead of the boil, the target OG should be 1.047. I forgot this, and it freaked me out for a few minutes when I pulled a 1.049.

Be sure to make a nice, big starter!

Ferment at 64 degrees for the first couple of days. When the beer has reached 50-75% attenuation, add your sugar.

I personally split mine into two additions. I did a pound and a half boiled with about a cup of water, which yielded a nice golden styup (sticky as heck, though). Once fermentation slowed down, I did it again.

As fermentation finishes, ramp up the temp. Jamil suggests going as high as 82 degrees; I got mine to 78-79, and kept it pretty steady until final gravity was reached. Beware that the last few points can take as long - or longer - as the first 90% did. I wrapped my carboy with a heating pad.

Also beware that this yeast is a really poor flocculator. Mine dropped out after about 3 weeks in the fermenter, but I've read numerous reports of it taking as long as six weeks.

I bulk aged mine for nine weeks in primary followed by two in secondary. You don't have to do that, but do understand that long bulk aging often reduces the time that you have to bottle age to get to peak flavor.

I bottled with table sugar (boiled in water, of course). Taste at bottling was excellent, was really not expecting that.

Plan to bottle condition for at least a month or two, and do try to save some for several months. Big Belgians undergo miraculous transformations with some time on them. I won't be opening my first bottle before about 4 months after brew day, and I don't expect it to yet be as good as it will get.

If you bottle it at 4 vol's double check that the standard bottles can handle it. No one likes bottle bombs!

If you can do the mashing and all, that will definitely be a better way to do this recipe. Using the right yeast will be important as well, which I believe is White Labs WLP 570 or Wyeast WY1388. This one will definitely take some time to smooth out, when is your buddy getting back?

Also, I would not bottle at 4 volumes if you're going to be using standard bottles. Most American craft beer bottles aren't made to stand up to that kind of pressure. Not trying to discourage you by any means, just trying to give what info I can. Good luck! :mug:

If you can do the mashing and all, that will definitely be a better way to do this recipe. Using the right yeast will be important as well, which I believe is White Labs WLP 570 or Wyeast WY1388. This one will definitely take some time to smooth out, when is your buddy getting back?

Also, I would not bottle at 4 volumes if you're going to be using standard bottles. Most American craft beer bottles aren't made to stand up to that kind of pressure. Not trying to discourage you by any means, just trying to give what info I can. Good luck! :mug:

He doesn't get back until August/September.

I'll probably end up bottling at 3.5 volumes of CO2. Thanks for the help!

Not a problem! I think you can pull this off to be ready by then. It may not be at its full potential but it should be drinkable. Honestly even 3.5 -might- be high for standard bottles, but I've bottled around 3.5 on accident before and didn't have any bottle bombs. I would still have a rubbermaid container or something like that to put the bottles in just in case some of them decide to go off.

Back