Aphids, mites or other?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPFuller

Reaction score
Looking for a little help from you guys if your willing. Second year cascade plant just getting going in Chicago, we have had some weird weather this year. Unable to post pics, but will explain what's happening.

Bottom leaves are being chewed on, between the veins, beginning on the broadest part of the leaf. The holes are small become progressively larger, eventually resembling tears, and eventually the outer edges of the leaf, brown and curl up. Have picked the effected leafs off so far, but that can't last forever.

Have found only one or two suspects, one being an avoid, tan to reddish in color, bug less than the size of a pin head, and a black similarly sized, more circular one, that I believe is probably a bug too.

If this helps, this plant was hit hard late last August and all but died but I attributed that to the horribly dry and hot conditions.

No webbing or sugary coating that I can find, but it is early days and that may be coming if I can't nip this in the bud. Finally, is there a product that address both mites and aphids?

I realize this was long winded, but I appreciate the help-John

If it's obvious the leaves are being chewed on you need to do something. I'd go ahead and hit the leaves with bug soap, as it's pretty much harmless to anything other than bugs...

Cheers!

If you do have aphids, do the ladybug thing. And follow the directions -- apparently if you release them in the day they'll just fly away.

And watching ladybugs at work is worth the price of admission. Those cute little things are vicious carnivores when they get their claws on an aphid. They tear them to pieces.

I agree with m3n00b. Get some ladybugs and/or earwigs. I keep a small compost pile in the corner of my garden (just leaves and shoots, no fruit, to avoid a stench) earwigs congregate under there and eat lots of bugs that are unfriendly to my plants.

It sounds to me like this is not an insect issue. Insects to not generally return to previous feeding sites. It sounds to me like you have some kind of nutrient/water stress, or possibly wind damage. Wind damage is not generally noticed, as it slowly builds over time.

Things like aphids or spider mites do not leave during the day, so you would see them if they were around. Also, neither of those two are chewing insects, and therefore they will not cause holes in leaves.

It sounds to me like this is not an insect issue. Insects to not generally return to previous feeding sites. It sounds to me like you have some kind of nutrient/water stress, or possibly wind damage. Wind damage is not generally noticed, as it slowly builds over time.

Things like aphids or spider mites do not leave during the day, so you would see them if they were around. Also, neither of those two are chewing insects, and therefore they will not cause holes in leaves.

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded, I genuinely appreciate it.
Hadn't considered wind damage, although it is the "Windy City." Don't think it's a nutrient problem, sorta learned that lesson the hard way last year.

RE: bug soap, any recommendations on brand? Again, thanks to all-JF

Sounds like the jury is out on what's ailing your plants, but for the record, home made bug soap works and is wicked easy to make: one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in two cups of water in a spray bottle. Don't apply when the sun is high, and hit the underside of the leaves. I don't think the store bought (eg: Safer) stuff works any better, plus you know what's in your own mix...

Cheers!

Sounds like the jury is out on what's ailing your plants, but for the record, home made bug soap works and is wicked easy to make: one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in two cups of water in a spray bottle. Don't apply when the sun is high, and hit the underside of the leaves. I don't think the store bought (eg: Safer) stuff works any better, plus you know what's in your own mix...

Cheers!

Thanks, I know I've seen similar formulas before, but couldn't recall the ratio.
Woke up this morning and discovered 5 small black dots on the upper surface of one of the leafs, looked like pics I have seen of butterfly eggs before. I would prefer to not hurt benign insects unnecessarily, any one know the title of a comprehensive field guide? Web sites are a little thin on info.

Back