Apollo/Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i have a pound of Apollo and a pound of Cacade i just picked up and looking to do an IPA, something with smooth bitterness, what do you think about the following:
8 lbs DME
1lb corn sugar in the boil
.5 oz Apollo 60 minutes
1 oz Cadcade 15 minutes
1 oz Cadcade 10 minutes
1 oz Cadcade 5 minutes
1 oz Cadcade 1 minute
1 oz Apollo Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
WLP 001 Cali Ale

Or

8 lbs DME
1lb corn sugar in the boil
.5 oz Apollo 60 minutes
.5 oz Cadcade and .5 oz Apollo 15 minutes
.5 oz Cadcade and .5 oz Apollo 10 minutes
.5 oz Cadcade and .5 oz Apollo 5 minutes
.5 oz Cadcade and .5 oz Apollo 1 minute
1 oz Apollo Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
WLP 001 Cali Ale

I like the second recipe better because you get the Apollo in on the flavor & aroma act, but watch your IBUs. The Apollo is super high AA which won't make much difference in the 5 & 1 additions but may add a few more points than you want at the 15 & 10.

Ok will do, I'm trying to do an ipa for some people who traditionally are not into the hoppy stuff and the price on a lb of apollo was too good to pass up

Ok will do, I'm trying to do an ipa for some people who traditionally are not into the hoppy stuff and the price on a lb of apollo was too good to pass up

I really like the Apollo, I've only used it in a couple beers but thought it was great. Very clean bittering and piney/resiny aroma and flavor. I'm not sure it's a good hop to use for people who don't like hoppy stuff though. Maybe you want to go with the first recipe or maybe mix in just a little bit of the Apollo in your late additions. Cascade is a better "gateway" hop for non hop lovers. Come to think of it, you may wish to back it down to a pale ale and keep the IBUs in the mid 30s instead of trying to sell an IPA to people who don't like hoppy beers.

yea good thought, i probably wont brew again until early June, just getting some ideas now. i may even do the first recipe and pick up some galaxy and citra to dry hop, maybe give it a tropical aroma...any chance the apollo will give more citrus vs pine?

Magic Hat's Blind Faith IPA is Apollo and Cascade based on their website.

I came up with a recipe based on their data.

Blind Faith IPA
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.1%
SRM: 9.1
IBU: 55
Preboil volume: 7.75 gallons
Batch size: 5.5 gallons

Grains:
11.75lbs Crisp Pale Ale (UK)
.75lbs Crystal 40

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes.
Preboil OG: 1.049

Hops:
Apollo 17.6% FWH 1oz
Cascade 6.0% 10min 2oz
Cascade 6.0% 5min 2oz
Cascade 6.0% dry hop 2oz 7 days

Additions:
Whirlfloc 15min
Dextrose 8oz (at start of boil)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

yea good thought, i probably wont brew again until early June, just getting some ideas now. i may even do the first recipe and pick up some galaxy and citra to dry hop, maybe give it a tropical aroma...any chance the apollo will give more citrus vs pine?

Well I was just reading a thread where someone described it as grapefruity so what the heck do I know. Maybe I was picking up another hop in the beer that was piney. Obviously, I need to use it more.

Thanks for the replies, also I noticed a lot of the magic hat beers use apollo

I think they use it mostly for bittering. That's how I came to use it the first time when I was trying to clone their Encore IPA.

I have a pound of those and a pound of cascade in the freezer, it's hard to get a good idea of the apollo as an aroma hop bc the cold covers up a lot of aromas, when I pull them out to use they should warm up and ill be able to get a better idea of their characteristics

Latest posts

Back