My "ugly" control panel :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleewok

Reaction score
Most of the controllers I see on here are amazing. It's impressive to see the workmanship. At the same time it can be discouraging, because many of us don't have the time, money, or equipment to produce something as polished as what you can find at theelectricbrewery.com.

I figured I would encourage some of you and post some pics of my controller. It's not polished, but it works! I struggled for weeks on how I would put the components into a box. I found some posts showing toolboxes. I decided to go that route. Why? Two reasons. 1) I had one sitting around 2) I don't have any great tools to cut metal (I have a dremel and a drill).

I have a computer PSU mounted in the box. The PSU functions as the on/off for the Arduino potentiometer controller, and the cooling fan. It works great. I could eventually run these off the 120v coming from the line-in, but for now I want simplicity.

To mount the breadboard and Arduino I used hot glue to hold them to a plastic panel (and then to the PSU. You can see in the picture. They hold nicely. There is a 0-9 LED that tells me what level my heating element is at, and pot. mounted to the front. I plan on mounting the LED next to the pot.

I have a 30 amp dual pole switch mounted on the front that will cut power to the outlet on the top of the box.

I haven't brewed with this setup yet, but I've tested the outlet with the multimeter and it works as expected!

Cheers!

WP_20130517_001.jpg

WP_20130513_002.jpg

WP_20130517_009.jpg

WP_20130517_006.jpg

WP_20130517_008.jpg

sleewok,
i did a toolbox build myself. you can find it in my sig.

however, here's top shot of it.

and on operations day

Looks good to me. I might have been tempted to go with just the fan inside the PSU, but having 2 fans certainly won't hurt.

Sorry, was from phone - pics not added. Uses 2 power sources, a 20a & 30a gfi's w/ 2 kill toggles and changeable thermocouples. Has a timer, but that was before I realized the PID's had static memory ;?)

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

My system is on the trashy side too. I want all the features, but I want to do it cheaply and incrementally.

1. Start with the bare minimum. Electric kettle plus heat control.
  2. Scavenged a 50 A DPST switch from an old welder.
  3. Used a post and ring connector approach for power distribution.
  4. My pump control is a light switch in a separate box that I put together years ago.
  5. Big box to keep adding pids, etc. to when I get the urge.

Sleewok,
While the enclosure is low tech, the arduino is a sophisticated way to control power to the element. Are you planning to add PID functionality to the Arduino?

Consider upgrading the breadboard to a soldered wire PCB version when the panel design is complete so you won't have to troubleshoot loose wires on brew day.

Awesome! It's really great to see what you guys have done.

What I really like about the toolbox method is how easy it will be to upgrade. I kind of wish I had gone with a bigger box to hold future upgrades. I'll probably end up expanding it like a house :).

I'm doing a test boil right now. I'm curious to see how quick this baby can boil 10 gallons. Everything seems to be working as expected.

Sleewok,
While the enclosure is low tech, the arduino is a sophisticated way to control power to the element. Are you planning to add PID functionality to the Arduino?

Consider upgrading the breadboard to a soldered wire PCB version when the panel design is complete so you won't have to troubleshoot loose wires on brew day.

You're absolutely right. I've had the arduino board sitting around for about 6 years and this was the first project I decided to use it for. I plan on upgrading the breadboard to PCB when I add PID functionality. Alternately I may just add a pre-built PID and use a switch to toggle between the two controllers.

It really just depends on what other projects I have going on, and if my time figuring out the arduino PID costs more than the cost of a PID.

yes for ugly control panels!

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

one day i'll clean it up inside.. but today, is just not that day...

I rigged up an Arduino PID and used it to cook sous vide chicken breast the same afternoon. It helped that I already knew how to measure temperature with a DS18B20.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PIDLibrary

funny you mention that, i just use my hlt and binder clip the bags to my hex. did some lamb of leg tonight, have done flank steak and salmon in the past. want to try doing ribs, but in that case they'd prob go in my mlt and i'd recirculate like i was brewing.

Back