Couple of recipes, couple if ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingof14ers

Reaction score
OK so my first recipe I'm ironing out is an IPA based on a recipe that I've already done with a slight twist, the concept is an IPA arnold palmer. Basically I use generous Sorachi ace flavor additions and some all natural lemonade in the secondary. This time adding some belma for bittering. Now for the tea, I need a recommendation for somewhat neutral tasting but a good tea AROMA as the other half of the experience. A friend has thrown Earl Grey on the table. Thoughts?

Now for the other recipe. Jalapeno Popper with dusseldorf alt as the base style. Jalapeno easy, but the cheese part? Powdered?

Earl Gray is all bergamot, no tea aroma. Maybe a Darjeeling for a light, less bitter tea? Also: hope you're kidding about powdered cheese in your beer!

ong said:
Earl Gray is all bergamot, no tea aroma. Maybe a Darjeeling for a light, less bitter tea? Also: hope you're kidding about powdered cheese in your beer!

Does Darjeeling have a significant aroma? I'm kind of kidding about the powdered cheese, but I know I can't throw in a big a$$ block of cracker barrel sharp cheddar either. Thought about a little bit of lactose, but looking for ideas that would give the essence of cheese without necessarily being cheese.

Darjeeling has a "fruitier" bouquet, to me anyway. It's a more delicate black tea, vs. the maltier and stronger Assam types (English Breakfast teas are Assam blends).

kingof14ers said:
Does Darjeeling have a significant aroma? I'm kind of kidding about the powdered cheese, but I know I can't throw in a big a$$ block of cracker barrel sharp cheddar either. Thought about a little bit of lactose, but looking for ideas that would give the essence of cheese without necessarily being cheese.

I thought "poppers" had more of a cream cheese filling? Maybe you could do some lactic acid fermentation. Or you could lean towards the cornmeal/batter element of the popper. Cereal mash some corn grits?

Back