Is 75-80 F too warm to naturally carbonate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have several kegs that I am trying to carbonate using corn sugar. These have been stored upstairs where temperatures can reach 75-80 if the AC in the house is off. The kegs have been there for 19 days and I wonder if these temps are just too high. Any comments?

Nah you are fine. You are not fermenting enough sugar to get off flavors like you would if you were fermenting a batch from wort.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as though you've been unsuccessful in carbonating them.

My guess is that the kegs may not be sealed properly, and thus unable to maintain pressure. Did you put 20-30 lbs on them and then disconnect when you initially sealed the kegs? Some kegs require that much to "seat" the main O-ring.

-Rich

Reading between the lines, it sounds as though you've been unsuccessful in carbonating them.

My guess is that the kegs may not be sealed properly, and thus unable to maintain pressure. Did you put 20-30 lbs on them and then disconnect when you initially sealed the kegs? Some kegs require that much to "seat" the main O-ring.

-Rich

I put each keg under about 30 psi after adding the priming sugar and purging the O2 with CO2. I have not yet tested the pressure of the kegs. I was more concerned creating a possible off taste by having the kegs in a warmer environment to naturally carbonate. I used 1/2 the corn sugar that I use for bottling.

Well, that warm for that long will certainly show any problems you might have had with sanitation. All other things being equal, though, your yeast profile ought to be pretty well set by now. As was said above, your priming sugar shouldn't be enough to cause enough yeast activity to change much at all.

You're probably just fine. :mug:

-Rich

Those temps won't effect finished beer during carbonation like they would during primary. Not the same thing at all,so it's all good.

Well, that warm for that long will certainly show any problems you might have had with sanitation. All other things being equal, though, your yeast profile ought to be pretty well set by now. As was said above, your priming sugar shouldn't be enough to cause enough yeast activity to change much at all.

You're probably just fine. :mug:

-Rich

So if a beer might have had a small infection would storing the beer to carb at these temps only make the situation worse? I ask because one of my beers might have had too many possible yeast rafts when I racked it into the keg.

So if a beer might have had a small infection would storing the beer to carb at these temps only make the situation worse? I ask because one of my beers might have had too many possible yeast rafts when I racked it into the keg.

It'd depend on the infection (the beer is finished, so the yeast can and will defend itself), but being that warm accelerates all changes, good and bad.

-Rich

Back