Coopers Stout Temp Problem Too Low _

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julesjava

Reaction score
Hello,

Starting first brew with a coopers set. With Stout.

The temp is 18C. Is this ok?
I am thinking of lighting a fire later.
Thank you,

Julian

18C equals 64.4F by the formula (C x 1.8) + 32 = F. so 20C would be 68F. The cooper's ale yeast is a bit slow at 64F, but doable. It likes 66-68F better.

You're great at 18*C. A typical ale yeast will ferment just fine there. Some ale yeasts do well much cooler than that. I have a batch 3 days into fermenting with Nottingham ale yeast that I'm holding at 14.5*C and it's very active.

Do not try to heat it up at all. It's good right where it is. Give it a few weeks and it should be ready.

Hello and thanks to all for your comments.

It does seem to be fermenting however slowly. Nice layer of foam on the top instead of the black that was there.

One thing is that the room temp is 18c but the sticker label temp says 22c.

This I would expect to go down then over the next day. But as you all say should be ok.

I think I will leave it 3 days as it is, what do you think?

Thanks again for you input,

Julian

Just leave it alone till it hits FG & settles out clear or slightly misty before priming & bottling. It'll def take more time than those times in typical instruction sheets.

Hello and thanks to all for your comments.

It does seem to be fermenting however slowly. Nice layer of foam on the top instead of the black that was there.

One thing is that the room temp is 18c but the sticker label temp says 22c.

This I would expect to go down then over the next day. But as you all say should be ok.

I think I will leave it 3 days as it is, what do you think?

Thanks again for you input,

Julian

When you said 18*C earlier, I thought that you meant that was your fermentation temp.

22*C is a bit on the warm side, but not horribly so. If you have the means to do so, I'd try to cool it down a couple degrees C for the first 5-7 days.

Hello, and thank you for your replies, this is now bottled and sitting on the floor beside me in 44 bottles.
I added two teaspoons of brown sugar to all bottles.

When do you think I would be able to sample test my good first brew?

Thank you

Julian

Back