Sun burn up hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I'm in northern to middle Georgia. My young plants look a bit burnt up. I'll post pics. The edges of the leaves are brown and crumbly and stock or bines I guess just look weak or dried out I dunno. Can the sun be to much for young plants or is this something else like to much nutrient or not enough. Not enough water maybe? I planted in miracle gro potting mix with mushroom compost and sand and manure. Also sprinkled them with more miracle grow in water( kinda think that was overkill) anyways the weak plants are fuggle which I know prob wont make it in ga and cascades two of each plant. They are just looking weak and struggling

image-1685184896.jpg

Attachments

• image-3887493771.jpg
    image-3887493771.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 245
  • image-40285477.jpg
    image-40285477.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 227
  • image-3364097294.jpg
    image-3364097294.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image-1063851285.jpg
    image-1063851285.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 204
Ooooohhh, That looks like burn from excess nitrogen. Can you replant in fresh soil?
Always record what you give to plants and when, ESPECIALLY in containers.

Will replant tomorrow after work. I'm gonna use just plain potting mix not the miricle gro fancy crap and also add sand, petemoss and compost maybe manure and just water with plain water not the m gro for a while. Can the plants make a rebound or are they gonna be damaged plants

Will replant tomorrow after work. I'm gonna use just plain potting mix not the miricle gro fancy crap and also add sand, petemoss and compost maybe manure and just water with plain water not the m gro for a while. Can the plants make a rebound or are they gonna be damaged plants

With proper compost you shouldnt need fancy potting soil.

I mixed 50/50 compost(steer manure + some generic compost from Lowes) and top soil for my first years and have had no issues really other than bugs.

+1 on fertilizer burn. You don't need to be feeding small plants like that, and if you do use very small doses. Since you have them in pots, you may want the flush the soil. Nutrient salts get trapped in the soil and can keep hurting the plants. Flush with 2-3 gal of water per gal of soil. After that just feed if they look like they need it and start with small doses then work your way up until you get a feel for what they can handle.

Transplanted them into topsoil manure mushroom compost and sand

Back