Element Selection Help for keggle - Spa element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_h

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan out my conversion to electric.

My equipment is stored mostly outside under a covered Lanai as I do not have a garage. Rust and corrosion is a real concern for me.

Following up on this thread about rust on a brand new element, I've been looking at alternatives.

I found this on ebay and wanted to know if it would work.

It's 5500w & 240v, which is what I want, and uses a brass plug which addresses my main issue of rust. Length is about right. It's also NPT and has built in thermowells which are both nice.

Any issues I should be concerned about? Any negatives to using the thermowells so close to the element?

although its brass it looks like it might be plated brass. I think i remember reading that plating of any kind is not good. I would make sure if its plated you know what with.

Thermowells close to the element will most definitely read higher than one place say in a keggle 1/2 way up. That is up to you though, and if you have good flow that may minimize the effect...

Thanks for the heads up.

What are the plugs on the camco elements made of? They look to be chrome plated?

From what I can tell, I believe this is a full brass plug that has been chrome/silver plated.

Here is the original discontinued model that was not chrome plated.

I emailed the seller to see if he knows or can clarify.

yea your right about the camco's and actually i may have totally been getting this mixed up with something i read about galvanized steel. and i actually have the camco's in my kettles. you are probably fine then to go with that.

weldless or welded? i ask because the threads look longer than the camcos. that might actually be a benefit if you are going welded and have a half coupling that will fit that thread.

yea your right about the camco's and actually i may have totally been getting this mixed up with something i read about galvanized steel. and i actually have the camco's in my kettles. you are probably fine then to go with that.

weldless or welded? i ask because the threads look longer than the camcos. that might actually be a benefit if you are going welded and have a half coupling that will fit that thread.

Right now I have weldless fittings but might upgrade to welded w/ the move to electric.

For the element, I think I want a welded fitting.

If you are concerned about rust on the base of an element, look into installing a magnesium anode. It will sacrifice to keep the steel from rusting.

Back