Opened bottle of beer early...overflowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Can this happen? When I added priming sugar I made sure everything was blended properly. I'm talking like 2 weeks and 2 days too early here. And the beer was warm. I don't know the meaning of RDWHAHB. Guess I got used to the convenience of kegging.

Warm beer is going to foam up. You really need to give it the proper amount of time and then put the brew in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours (longer is even better)to get the CO2 to absorb into the beer.

scottyg354 said:
Can this happen? When I added priming sugar I made sure everything was blended properly. I'm talking like 2 weeks and 2 days too early here. And the beer was warm. I don't know the meaning of RDWHAHB. Guess I got used to the convenience of kegging.

Yes it can happen. What happened is that the CO2 that has been produced in the bottle hasn't been absorbed into solution. There is a time lapse video that shows how carbonation changes over the recommended 3 week carb up time but I can't find it. Maybe revvy will show up and post it. Wait a couple more weeks. Put one in the fridge for 24 hours and if it still gushes its either an infection or overcarbed. But I'm willing to bet its just that you haven't given it enough time.

I've been doing this long enough to know better and let it sit. It's just the first time this happened to me.

I was hanging out with a chick this weekend but had no cold homebrew. She agreed to taste a warm one. Was a bad idea. Beer on her and everywhere else.

Unfortunately not :( I was hoping so but she's newly single and wasn't going through the whole rebound motions. I tried at least.

Back