Is this pot thick enough for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in a rural part of New Zealand (transplant from Los Angeles) and I'm trying to piece together an all grain brewing set up. It seems that its not very common out here and I'm having a hard time finding all that I need, and what I do find is pretty expensive.

I found a 30L pot (7.9 gallons) on Trademe (NZ's version of ebay) for only $45 NZ. But it says it's only .8 m thick? Is that okay or will I be signing up for problems?

The pot I was looking at is here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/kitchen/pots-pans-bakeware/pots/auction-588632580.htm

The only other thing I can find is a 35 L pot on a local home brew site but its $179 and they don't know how thick it even is (I called). I worry I'll pay all that extra just to get the same basic quality.

What do you guys think? .8 m thick enough?

Your just using it to boil, so thickness is not that big of a deal. It can be paper thin. Let me ask you this, do you guys have 1/2BBL kegs? Ever though about making a keggle?

Welcome to homebrewing in NZ! I have seen a lot of homebrew equipment on our brewing shop websites greatly overpriced, >$20 for a single gas/liquid balllock disconnect! I got a flimsy 4.5 gallon pot from The Wharehouse and that was good for boiling (mounted a kettle element in the bottom) but the top started splitting after a few times pouring 3.5 gallons out of it. If you plan on putting a weldless ball valve on it so you don't have to lift it full of water/wort it might be ok.

Your just using it to boil, so thickness is not that big of a deal. It can be paper thin. Let me ask you this, do you guys have 1/2BBL kegs? Ever though about making a keggle?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll give it a go. It's only $45 at the end of the day but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't signing up for some huge problem I didn't take into consideration.

Welcome to homebrewing in NZ! I have seen a lot of homebrew equipment on our brewing shop websites greatly overpriced, >$20 for a single gas/liquid balllock disconnect! I got a flimsy 4.5 gallon pot from The Wharehouse and that was good for boiling (mounted a kettle element in the bottom) but the top started splitting after a few times pouring 3.5 gallons out of it. If you plan on putting a weldless ball valve on it so you don't have to lift it full of water/wort it might be ok.

You're telling me... Prices seem outrageous. When I first got started I got a complete partial grain kit for a little over $100, including bottles. I've only got a few carboys and extras so far for some cider I just made and I'm already in over $200. Geez! Can't quite figure out some of the high prices here. Import taxes don't quit justify some of what I see.

What do most people do for a mash tun around here? I called a home brew shop today and he said he had no idea and no one really does it. Love to hear what other Kiwi's are doing. While I'm at it... What's the best online store in New Zealand for home brew supplies?

Cheers.

You're telling me... Prices seem outrageous. When I first got started I got a complete partial grain kit for a little over $100, including bottles. I've only got a few carboys and extras so far for some cider I just made and I'm already in over $200. Geez! Can't quite figure out some of the high prices here. Import taxes don't quit justify some of what I see.

What do most people do for a mash tun around here? I called a home brew shop today and he said he had no idea and no one really does it. Love to hear what other Kiwi's are doing. While I'm at it... What's the best online store in New Zealand for home brew supplies?

Cheers.

Check out the forum over at forum.realbeer.co.nz lots of good homebrewers on there.
Homebrew has a bit of a history in NZ as it seems that everyones dad/uncle used to homebrew but most of that was kit and kilo stuff! I have got a converted keg MLT, seen some people use chilly bins, and others using pots.
For homebrew supplies there are a few good online shops (depending where in the country you are):
www.brewerscoop.co.nz - Auckland (need to email for ordering)
www.brewshop.co.nz - Hamilton
www.baylandsbrewery.com - Wellington
www.dunedinmalthouse.co.nz - ummmm... Dunedin :D
And some others but that's all off the top of my head right now.
I'll try to dig up some of the equipment suppliers too in a bit.
Cheersmug:

If using a propane burner you can always put a piece of steel down (not to thick) to take the direct burn and put your pot on top of it. It will take a little longer to initially heat up, but that direct heat won't burn through your .8mm.

Back