Way low final gravity...what's up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
I brewed an amber ale on 4/7. OG was 1.060. Estimated FG (Beersmith) was 1.013. I hit 1.008 after 12 days! It has remained at 1.008 since. I aerated the heck out of the wort and pitched re hydrated dry yeast. Is this ending gravity a good thing?? Other than jacking the ABV from 6.1 to 6.8%!:tank:

Recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 16.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1 lbs 3.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lbs 3.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
14.0 oz Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt
6.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
6 lbs Light Dry Extract
0.50 oz Magnum [13.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Centennial [10.25 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.25 oz Centennial [10.25 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

"Is this ending gravity a good thing?"

That is personal preference. It will be lighter and drier and the hops will be more evident than if it finished higher.

What was the estimated OG on Beersmith? Or was that the one on Beersmith? If that was, what was the actual starting OG? Sometimes they just go a little lower then expected.

1.060 was the actual and estimated OG.

1.008 isn't "way low" for an amber- mine usually finish at 1.010. That's really close (.002 difference- easily within the margin of error), and not worth any worry at all.

Ever calibrate your hydrometer?

Mine are both off a bit.....in opposite directions.:drunk:

Don't rely on BeerSmith in FG prediction since software doesn't know at what temperature you mashed and what is grains fermentation potential.
As said, 1.008 is not that low.

Don't rely on BeerSmith in FG prediction since software doesn't know at what temperature you mashed and what is grains fermentation potential.
As said, 1.008 is not that low.

Im pretty sure it knows both those things. Change your mash temp and the fg estimate changes. Change grist and it changes.

What was op's mash temp and duration? 85-7% is my usual us-05 attenuation, this seems similar.

Latest posts

Back