Auto Sipon vs Drain Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I was going to add a stainless drain valve to my stainless boil kettle (8 gallon), but then learned about the whirlpool effect to help clean out the wort.

Would a drain valve totally mess the cone created from the whirlpool?

Or a better question, should I even care as its so east to just dump 100% of the wort into the fermenter :cross:

The only reason I even want a drain valve is because I dont want to pick up the entire 5 gallons and dump it into the fermenter, its much easier just to flip the valve and let it do its thing.

I have a buddy with back issues... so he can't lift and dump. He uses a drain valve and makes great beer! He just drains through a sanitized stainless strainer and into his primary bucket. There are even products out there (like the Hop Stopper) that can help you not lift and not have trub.

I've got a SS ball valve on my 9-gallon brew pot. Love it. I don't have to move the kettle an inch to transfer wort to the bucket (which I just did about 45 minutes ago). It's far enough off the bottom that when I remove the chiller, whirlpool and then let things settle 15 min it leaves almost all of the gunk in the bottom.

It also helps when I use the kettle to heat strike water or sparge water for AG.

Man, I've never had luck with my diptube. Was thinking of using a false bottom, but I'm afraid of scorching wort. Autosiphon for me.

Man, I've never had luck with my diptube. Was thinking of using a false bottom, but I'm afraid of scorching wort. Autosiphon for me.

Diptube? False Bottom? Not in a boil kettle.

I like the ball valve at about 1-1/2" off the bottom.
Boil, Chill, whirlpool, drain. Easy.

Diptube? False Bottom? Not in a boil kettle.

I like the ball valve at about 1-1/2" off the bottom.
Boil, Chill, whirlpool, drain. Easy.

My blichman has a dip tube. It doesn't affect the whirlpool, but on occasion if there are a lot of hops, or a big cold break it will clog up on the last gallon or so. When it does that I dump it all, but 75% of the time I just drain it via the ball valve/dip tube which only leaves a small amount of liquid

Back