Getting ready for my 3rd Extract (need recomendations)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa911

Reaction score
Gonna do my 3rd extract next weekend and want some suggestions.

My Sister and Brother In Law are coming down in 2 months to visit and he recomended something "hoppy". Obviously I could throw together a 90 minute IPA or something simple like that, but wanted to get some creative recomendations.

I am feeling confident enough with the process that I could stray from an extract "kit" but obviously need to stick to a DME or LME base. What have you got for a beginner with just under 8 weeks brew to consumption? :tank:

I just brewed that Centennial Ale and it was super easy. It's a bit light on the hops, but it's such a light beer that anything will come through nicely in it, IMO.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ferocious-ipa.html

If you like a beer with a whole lotta hop, then pour a pint of our Ferocious IPA. Created with the brewers of Minnesota’s Surly Brewing, this IPA uses 6 ounces of Ahtanum hops for a bold brew that is rich in malt sweetness and infused with bright hop aroma and flavor. It's a hop lover's dream with loads of flavor and yet it's very smooth and a treasure to drink. This one requires dry hopping and has received rave reviews from our customers who like a bold beer.

Here is what I went with I went with. I started another fourm to update on staus https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/latest-brew-big-double-ipa-408206/

OG: 1.086 (I got a reading of 1.082, but that was likely due to not being fully mixed at the time of the sample)
FG: 1.020
Alcohol: 8.5%
IBU: 90
SRM: 9.5

Fermentables:
7 lb. Golden Light Dry Malt Extract
3.3 lb. Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract

Specialty Grain
.75 lb. Castle Caramel Pilsner
.25 lb. Briess Caramel 120

Hops
2 oz. Chinook (60 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (10 min.)
2 oz. Amarillo (0 min.)
2 oz. Cascade (Dry Hop)

Yeast
2 packs US-05

The boil was nerve racking early on as it wanted to boil over even before any of the hop additions. I finally got the temperature under control, and had a nice steady boil for about 45 minutes.

I pitched a 1/2 gallon starter after steeping the specialty grains and mixing in all of the extracts, and in a little over 24 hours she is bubbling like a mad-man.

Back