Getting Started...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinsstu

Reaction score
Any info on whether to purchase a kit or buy startup items seperately, and brands to avoid, and where to get the best deals would be appreciated. I am (of coarse) just deciding to start homebrewing. I have been thinking about it for a while now and have decided after meeting some people in the brewing community that now is the time for me. I am not looking for the cheapest deal but moreover the best deal for the money that I will be spending. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to lend.

I started in February with a Brooklyn Brew Shop one gallon kit. They go anywhere from 30 to 40$ a kit. They have their instructions online and a helpful YouTube video.

Only additional expense was a bottle capper and caps.

It was pretty easy, fun, and the beer was good. It was enough to get me addicted!

I have been doing two gallon batches lately since its all the pot space I have but I hope to upgrade to 5 gallon this summer.

Just listen to the Veterns on this site and you will excel!

Any info on whether to purchase a kit or buy startup items seperately, and brands to avoid, and where to get the best deals would be appreciated.

I would say this will depend a little bit on where you are located. There are a ton (and more and more every day) of online brew shops that will have a beginners kit. It's also going to depend on your circumstances and space. Do you have a vision for batch size (like mentioned above)? Do you have access to outdoor space or at least a well ventilated garage that you could use a propane burner for your brew kettle?

Most of the beginner's kits from places like Norther Brewer are going to be pretty standard, and the equipment is basically the same as you would get from any other supplier.

HBT will, no doubt prove to be an invaluable resource as you delve into this hobby, it certainly has been for me.

Cheers!:mug:

How large of batches do you plan on doing in five years?

Do you plan to move to all grain eventually?

Where do you live?

How much money do you have to spend?

How much room do you have for brewing and storage?

Do you need to worry about temp control?

Is this something you for sure want to do or are you just tossing it around?

Do you have a homebrew club in your area?

Standing by......

Like the above post there are so many things to consider.If you do find this enjoyable than good luck at not spending tons of money on equipment or resources whenever you get a chance.When someone tells you welcome to the addiction they really are saying it is an addiction.If you have any DIY skills they will come in very handy for this.

It depends on how you want to start. You'll get a lot of folks telling you to buy a (relatively) simple starter kit, which usually comes with a fermentation bucket, all the measuring equipment, and some tubing- these can be had for around or just under $100. Of course, you'd still have to buy a decent kettle (yes, aluminum is fine) and some other stuff. If you're planning on jumping right into all-grain brewing, as opposed to extract or partial mash, and you will be making 5 gallon batches, you will need a kettle capable of holding at least 7 gallons of wort. There are many things to factor into one's first system.

I built my brother a decent all-grain setup for just about $250. He now batch sparges 2-3 times per month and never regretted not going the extract route. If you'd like some info on that, let me know!

It depends on how you want to start. You'll get a lot of folks telling you to buy a (relatively) simple starter kit, which usually comes with a fermentation bucket, all the measuring equipment, and some tubing- these can be had for around or just under $100. Of course, you'd still have to buy a decent kettle (yes, aluminum is fine) and some other stuff. If you're planning on jumping right into all-grain brewing, as opposed to extract or partial mash, and you will be making 5 gallon batches, you will need a kettle capable of holding at least 7 gallons of wort. There are many things to factor into one's first system.

I built my brother a decent all-grain setup for just about $250. He now batch sparges 2-3 times per month and never regretted not going the extract route. If you'd like some info on that, let me know!

I would be interested in the process you used for the $250 all-grain setup. Any details/pictures? Thanks!

I started in February with a Brooklyn Brew Shop one gallon kit. They go anywhere from 30 to 40$ a kit. They have their instructions online and a helpful YouTube video.

Only additional expense was a bottle capper and caps.

It was pretty easy, fun, and the beer was good. It was enough to get me addicted!

I have been doing two gallon batches lately since its all the pot space I have but I hope to upgrade to 5 gallon this summer.

Just listen to the Veterns on this site and you will excel!

Thank you for the input. Was thinking it would nice to have the option to brew small batches.

How large of batches do you plan on doing in five years?

Do you plan to move to all grain eventually?

Where do you live?

How much money do you have to spend?

How much room do you have for brewing and storage?

Do you need to worry about temp control?

Is this something you for sure want to do or are you just tossing it around?

Do you have a homebrew club in your area?

Standing by......

I would like to be doing relatively large batches and consuming my own beer only in five years.

I would deffinately be moving to all grain if not starting that way.

I live in the Raleigh/Durham NC area.

Right now not a lot of money, to start around 500 bucks.

Room for brewing and storage is a two car garage.

This is surely something I am going to pursue.

Not sure about a homebrew club. Found some homebrew suppliers around the area and plan to speak with them in person this weekend.

Thank you for the support.

Thank you so much for the input and yes I would interested in some info on the all-grain setup. Would you advise starting out that route?

I would say this will depend a little bit on where you are located. There are a ton (and more and more every day) of online brew shops that will have a beginners kit. It's also going to depend on your circumstances and space. Do you have a vision for batch size (like mentioned above)? Do you have access to outdoor space or at least a well ventilated garage that you could use a propane burner for your brew kettle?

Most of the beginner's kits from places like Norther Brewer are going to be pretty standard, and the equipment is basically the same as you would get from any other supplier.

HBT will, no doubt prove to be an invaluable resource as you delve into this hobby, it certainly has been for me.

Cheers!:mug:

Yes I have space for use of a propane burner which is what I would prefer.

I would like to be doing relatively large batches and consuming my own beer only in five years.

Okay so you need to buy the equipment capable of brewing 10 gallon batches. There is no point in buying a five or seven gallon pot now only to turn around and need to buy a 15 gallon one in a year. Start off with a keggle or a 15 gallon pot for brewing (if you are going to buy a pot). You could spend some cash here. I got lucky on a unserviceable keg with a crushed upper lip. I also build my own false bottoms (I can send you the plan) using copper and a stainless steel colander. This also means a propane/turkey cooker style burner which you can find at yard sales or on craigslist for cheap. The only other items relevant to the size of a batch you intend to brew will be your mash tun (don't go less than a 10 gallon igloo (which is still small for some 10 gallon batches)) and the bottles or kegs to store it. So if you decide to build a mash tun as you move to all grain, buy a full sized one. There is no rush on the bottles or kegs though. As you grow in size, you can add those later.

You will need to add a mash tun which will cost you the price of an old cooler and building/buying a false bottom or manifold. ($40ish if you score an old cooler and buy the copper for a manifold). There aren't many other special or unique items that you wouldn't already have from doing extract or partial mashes.

temperature control will be a concern when brewing from March to October. There are several methods (swamp coolers, water bath, ice bottles, etc...) I would just keep you eye on craigslist for an old fridge for cheap, then spend $60 on a temp controller and you are able to brew year round without concern over our lovely southern summers.

You could go the barebones kit route then add a kettle, mash tun and a few other items or you could piece it together. Here is a quick swag item/price list assuming you are not going to do a secondary (if you are add $30 for a five gallon carboy).

6 gallon carboy $40 OR 7 gallon fermenting bucket $20
Airlock x 2 $4
5 gallon food grade bucket from Walmart bakery section to use as a bottling bucket $1
5 gallon food grade bucket from Walmart to use for sanitizing and stuff $1
plastic faucet for bottling bucket $4
bottling wand $4
10' of hose $5
bottles free if you ask around
bottle caps per batch $2
capper $20
8 oz of starsan $8
hydrometer and cylinder $20
thermometer (starter) $15
working fridge or freezer $50
Johnson A419 temp controller $70
Propane burner (CL) $30

This puts you at around $280 leaving $200+ for a kettle and mash tun plus other miscellaneous stuff I left out.

This works.

Then what you buy initially, should be at the upper end since you will use it forever (i.e. GOOD thermometer, kettle, tun, and the like). Ask others how important something is or if you can go cheap. Better to spend now than to go cheap now and have to turn around and spend more later...says the guy who has purchased 6 x $15 thermometers instead of buying 1 x $80 thermapen.

Not sure about a homebrew club. Found some homebrew suppliers around the area and plan to speak with them in person this weekend.

I would attend a meeting and see about linking up and helping some of the member brew. This will expose you to guys at the various levels of brewing and help you identify what equipment or setup you may want to have. Plus you can obverse their processes which will help you develop your own. Ask the stupid questions and take notes. Other brewers can also be a great way to pick up items to build your brewing setup since we tend to upgrade some portion of our operation a regular basis. Brewing is a hobby that is SO cheap to do. Yet we end up constantly spending money trying to go bigger and better.

Keep the questions coming.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input. Any further questions, which I am sure to have, I will feel free to ask. Again thank you.

Okay so you need to buy the equipment capable of brewing 10 gallon batches. There is no point in buying a five or seven gallon pot now only to turn around and need to buy a 15 gallon one in a year. Start off with a keggle or a 15 gallon pot for brewing (if you are going to buy a pot). You could spend some cash here. I got lucky on a unserviceable keg with a crushed upper lip. I also build my own false bottoms (I can send you the plan) using copper and a stainless steel colander. This also means a propane/turkey cooker style burner which you can find at yard sales or on craigslist for cheap. The only other items relevant to the size of a batch you intend to brew will be your mash tun (don't go less than a 10 gallon igloo (which is still small for some 10 gallon batches)) and the bottles or kegs to store it. So if you decide to build a mash tun as you move to all grain, buy a full sized one. There is no rush on the bottles or kegs though. As you grow in size, you can add those later.

You will need to add a mash tun which will cost you the price of an old cooler and building/buying a false bottom or manifold. ($40ish if you score an old cooler and buy the copper for a manifold). There aren't many other special or unique items that you wouldn't already have from doing extract or partial mashes.

temperature control will be a concern when brewing from March to October. There are several methods (swamp coolers, water bath, ice bottles, etc...) I would just keep you eye on craigslist for an old fridge for cheap, then spend $60 on a temp controller and you are able to brew year round without concern over our lovely southern summers.

You could go the barebones kit route then add a kettle, mash tun and a few other items or you could piece it together. Here is a quick swag item/price list assuming you are not going to do a secondary (if you are add $30 for a five gallon carboy).

6 gallon carboy $40 OR 7 gallon fermenting bucket $20
Airlock x 2 $4
5 gallon food grade bucket from Walmart bakery section to use as a bottling bucket $1
5 gallon food grade bucket from Walmart to use for sanitizing and stuff $1
plastic faucet for bottling bucket $4
bottling wand $4
10' of hose $5
bottles free if you ask around
bottle caps per batch $2
capper $20
8 oz of starsan $8
hydrometer and cylinder $20
thermometer (starter) $15
working fridge or freezer $50
Johnson A419 temp controller $70
Propane burner (CL) $30

This puts you at around $280 leaving $200+ for a kettle and mash tun plus other miscellaneous stuff I left out.

This works.

Then what you buy initially, should be at the upper end since you will use it forever (i.e. GOOD thermometer, kettle, tun, and the like). Ask others how important something is or if you can go cheap. Better to spend now than to go cheap now and have to turn around and spend more later...says the guy who has purchased 6 x $15 thermometers instead of buying 1 x $80 thermapen.

I would attend a meeting and see about linking up and helping some of the member brew. This will expose you to guys at the various levels of brewing and help you identify what equipment or setup you may want to have. Plus you can obverse their processes which will help you develop your own. Ask the stupid questions and take notes. Other brewers can also be a great way to pick up items to build your brewing setup since we tend to upgrade some portion of our operation a regular basis. Brewing is a hobby that is SO cheap to do. Yet we end up constantly spending money trying to go bigger and better.

Keep the questions coming.

I wouldn't mind having the specs on the keg. I think my friend has an old one laying around.

Back