DFH 60 minute IPA - ? about FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
8 days ago I brewed up a batch of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. At first I was concerned because my OG was 1.03 when it was supposed to be 1.064 - from what I read that's because I only boiled 3.5 gallons of water, not the full 5 and it wasn't fully incorporated.

Final Gravity is supposed to be 1.017, I just took a reading and it's at 1.014

I guess I should transfer it to secondary, I'm not exactly ready to bottle - I'd rather ski or hike today!!! and I've already been messing with my fudged up keeving ciders (yum!).

How long should I leave it in secondary? Should I bottle it tonight?

I got the recipe from Extreme Brewing and I had SCBS help me prepare the ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for a secondary at all, but if you want to do one I'd wait until the beer is completely clear and then rack onto the dryhops. Leave them on the dryhops a week or so, and then bottle.

I don't need to worry about the FG dropping too low?

What's "too low"?

Actually, 1.017 is pretty high. I'd like to see it more at 1.010-1.012. But it won't drop any more than it will drop- it stops when it's done. If your recipe predicted a certain FG, that is usually just a guestimate at best and a bad estimate at worst.

...I've been reading about bottle bombs, stove top pasteruization, all kinds of stuff...... I guess I remember reading that you don't want to bottle it until it's sat at the same gravity for ~3 days so you guys' recs seem strong.

Going hiking as soon as my friend gets here (have a pass to Snowbird but I like the uphill too)

seems that if I rack into secondary, leaving the yeast cake / trub behind, it won't drop as low. I am going for high ABV beverages, for the most part, so....

...just trying to follow the recipe... (thanks again!)

seems that if I rack into secondary, leaving the yeast cake / trub behind, it won't drop as low. I am going for high ABV beverages, for the most part, so....

...just trying to follow the recipe... (thanks again!)

You may stall it if you rack, but you probably won't as the active yeast are suspended in the beer, and not in the trub.

Trust me, 1.017 for an IPA is on the high side anyway and you'll want it to be more like 1.010-1.012. It'll be done when it's done. Waiting for it to be done is a smart and safe course. That will avoid bottle bombs and the need for anything silly like stove top pasteurization.

Back