I put the trub in my bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I was almost done bottling my brown ale when I happened to notice that, as I siphoned the beer from the betterbottle secondary to the bottling bucket, I must have siphoned nearly all of the secondary's sediment into the bottling bucket. It had been sitting for 2 weeks in the carboy, and had at least a quarter to half inch of tan sediment in the bottom. My auto-siphon does not reach to the bottom, so I obviously tilted it too much or too vigorously. Bottom line, the sediment is now evenly distributed across 9 sixpacks. The beer looked clear as I bottled, and tasted fine. I used the standard priming sugar pack supplied with the recipe kit (Austin HB Budget Brown Ale). I am hoping the sediment will just resettle, and I'll be OK, with no excess carbonation. Anyone else done this, or am I just exceptional?

Tilt fermenters/secondaries gently to avoid stiring up the trub. And only enough to get most of the beer out to the bottling bucket. you'll get better with practice.

Latest posts

Back