converting all grain to an extract version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
Not ready to tackle all grain yet.

So my question is there some kind of chart or site that will give a comparable extract to the all grain recipe?

I am stepping out there and actually doing a beer from a recipe instead of a kit, so I am heading in the all grain direction, just don't have the equipment and experience yet.

substitute 3lbs of the lightest dme for every 5lbs 2-row (or any light base malt)
keep the specialty grains as-is and steep
leave a pound of 2-row for every lb of grain that needs mashing and mini-mash it instead of doing a steep.

substitute 3lbs of the lightest dme for every 5lbs 2-row (or any light base malt)
keep the specialty grains as-is and steep
leave a pound of 2-row for every lb of grain that needs mashing and mini-mash it instead of doing a steep.

This.

The issue with taking an all grain batch and converting it to extract s that you need to do your homework. Some aspects of all grain are sinply not possible is pure extract batches, as some speciality grains cannot be steeped - they have to be mashed.

For the record, mashing is pretty similar to steeping. Steeping has you soak the grains in hot water for a half hour or so to extract color and flavor.

Mashing has you do the same thing, but at very specific temperatures (usually 148-158 degrees F) for the entire time. This causes a chemical reaction that extracts fermentable sugars, and also gets flavor/color from the speciality grains.

So as I have tumbed through some of the similar threads I noticed one that had 2 row being steeped at 150 to 160 for an hour and that is considered a mini mash?

So I guess you use what is left after doing that as your starting wort and carry on the receipt from there or is that a way over simplification

So as I have tumbed through some of the similar threads I noticed one that had 2 row being steeped at 150 to 160 for an hour and that is considered a mini mash?

So I guess you use what is left after doing that as your starting wort and carry on the receipt from there or is that a way over simplification

2 row (or pilsner, or maris otter, etc) + speciality grains @ 148-158 degrees for an hour is indeed a mini mash/partial mash.

Yes, you take that liquid, add it to your pot, and proceed with the boil like any other extract brew.

Thanks. Man I am glad I found this place. I think I have leaned more here than anyplace else

Back