Whirlpool - The big How-To

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Budzu, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try a 1/2 tab next time and see if that helps.

Budzu, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try a 1/2 tab next time and see if that helps.

Any update on how 1/2 a tablet worked? Last two batches with a full tablet I couldn't get the trub to settle below 2 gallons, much less form a cone.

I would love to whirlpool, but here's my problem: No spigot on my kettle, so I pick the thing up and dump it into the primary (once cooled) and use a paint strainer. Aerates the hell out of the cold wort (which is a nice side effect), and the strainer works really well too.

In order to make for a smooth wort rotation, w/o many turbulences, you have to make sure that there is nothing sticking into the wort. Either a spigot that is flush to the inside of the pot or a ring that goes around the pot should work. The ring has the advantage that the wort can enter it at many places around the trub cone, thus reducing the draft (and with this potential trub intake) that can build up at a single point.

I have a weldless ball valve kit on my kettle with a 3/8" copper 180˚ elbow I soldered together that screws into the coupling on the inside so it draws from the outside corner of the kettle about an 1/8" off the bottom. In all, I'd say it sticks about 2.5" into the kettle.
KettleValveFittings.png

I've never had an issue with whirlpooling. I do, however, whirlpool hot, rest for 5 minutes, and run through my CFC into the fermenter at pitching temp. I get a real nice trub cone and transfer clear wort to the CFC, obviously there's some cold break in the fermenter but that's gone once fermentation begins.
:mug:

I whirpool once cooled with good results, I also have a spigot in the side of the kettle which doesn't seem to cause problems.
I used to whirlpool hot, but noticed a marked improvement in clearing of the wort post chilling. I usually give it twenty minutes or so and syphon from the side.On my tubing I've got a small adjustable faucet that allows me to syphon real slow, I find this helps not to 'drag' too many beasties into the fermentor, oh yes 1\2 tab whirlflock per 5 gallons.

Any update on how 1/2 a tablet worked? Last two batches with a full tablet I couldn't get the trub to settle below 2 gallons, much less form a cone.

I know what you mean. 1/2 tablet is the right dosage for 5 gal batch, but the bags are usually labeled wrong (maybe the suppliers are just trying to push out twice as much???).

From what I have gathered, Whirlfloc needs to be added at ~5 min before flameout. Boiling it longer than 10 min denatures it rendering it useless.
Irish moss on the other hand is best put in 10-15 min from the end of the boil.

So, at what time do you add the Whirlfloc tablet? Try 5 min next time and see if you get a better cone.

Personally, I have always gotten a better cone from irish moss, than Whirlfloc. I use an IC, and whirlpool after chilling (and removing the IC).

Forgot to update from the 18th. Tried another half of a tablet of whirfloc at 5minutes, same results. Still no cone, but much less fluffy looking break material that could be from switching to a pilsner malt instead of the normal 2row I use.

Sorry for the ridiculously late feedback. Actually I never ended up trying 1/2 a tab. I've taken to lining a large pasta strainer (one that came with my 2 gal. cooking pot) with a nylon bag and just pouring the contents of the kettle through it into the fermenter. If you let the trub settle even a bit (like 10 minutes) then the first 4 gallons go right through the nylon bag and the last gallon or so fills it and clogs it pretty good. I then just squeeze with my hands gently until most of the liquid comes out and discard the rest. I imagine I lose less than 1/2 a gallon this way, and it's pretty damn easy. :cross:

Can you upload the pictures at the begining of this thread? They are not showing up anymore.

Is that your website or did you link from your website to the HBT wiki? if it's yours, thats impressive. Lots of good info.

Hi All,

I've given whirlpooling a shot many times now and I can great sedimentation results but no nice trub cone! I'm brewing in a 30qt (approx 12x12 if I remember correctly) stainless kettle with no post-modification (no obstructions inside the kettle). The last three brews I've used a whole tab of whirlfloc at 10min and I've gotten enough of a whirlpool going to nearly swirl up and out of the kettle (usually about 2-3min of constant, steady stirring). I immediately cover it and leave it alone for 20-30min. All three times I've had decently compacted trub, but it's a perfectly flat bed on the bottom of the kettle! Anyone experience this problem and find any solutions?

Happy Brewing!

All three times I've had decently compacted trub, but it's a perfectly flat bed on the bottom of the kettle! Anyone experience this problem and find any solutions?

You're probably not spinning the wort fast enough (which is really hard to do by had). I had the same issue until I started using a paint stirrer attachment on my cordless drill to spin the wort. Here's my process:

5 mins remaining in boil - 1 whirlfloc tab.

Flameout - add hops (if necessary) and move kettle to position where you will be transferring from (so you don't disturb anything by moving it later).

Whirlpool - spin wort with paint stirrer (gradually increasing speed to avoid hot-side aeration), lid on, and set timer for 5 minutes.

Transfer - I have a weldless kettle valve on my kettle (anyone could really do the same thing with a stainless or copper racking cane) that I transfer from into a CFC into the fermentor. I wrap the mouth of the carboy and the hose coming out of the CFC so it functions like a completely closed transfer system (I've never had an infected batch doing it that way).

Here's a pic from a batch this past spring when I started doing the whirlpool with this method (the trub cones have looked exactly like this ever since)--->

BrewDay4-30-112-27.png

Thanks for the tip headfullahops! I'd considered a paint stirrer attachment a while ago but completely forgot about it over the past few months. I'll give that a shot. Happy brewing!

Yup, whatever floats your boat. Not only does it look beautiful, it works like a charm.

So if you put your pot in an ice bath, do you wait until your wort has reached 70F before you start the whirlpool ? If so I'm assuming while your waiting 10-15 minutes you drain the ice bath ? Or do you whirlpool right away then most likely after 10-15 minuteS you would reach the desired temperate ?

Also what if your wort gets to cold by the time you finish siphoning ? Or does that not really matter ?

to the OP Any chance of re-upping the pictures? This guide is in a stickied FAQ after all. I don't mind hosting them on my dropbox if you PM them to me.

Ok...I'd like to take this a step further...

Any thoughts on dumping my hot wort into my counter flow chiller then whirlpooling it back into the kettle before draining into the fermenter? Basically quickly cooling the wort WHILE whirlpooling... What are my downsides? I can chill 5 gallons from 200+ to 70 in about 5 minutes with my CFC...I'm just tired of all the trub going into the fermenter. I've read all the threads about whirlpooling with an immersion chiller, but I haven't found much on whirlpooling with the counter-flow.

Ok...I'd like to take this a step further...

Any thoughts on dumping my hot wort into my counter flow chiller then whirlpooling it back into the kettle before draining into the fermenter? Basically quickly cooling the wort WHILE whirlpooling... What are my downsides? I can chill 5 gallons from 200+ to 70 in about 5 minutes with my CFC...I'm just tired of all the trub going into the fermenter. I've read all the threads about whirlpooling with an immersion chiller, but I haven't found much on whirlpooling with the counter-flow.

I have done it with my chillzilla, it works, just takes longer because you have the heat of the vessel to chill. I gave up on it since I have elements in my keggle and never got a cone after whirlpooling and it takes more time.

Jollyjimbo said:
I wish I could see the photos as I am in scerious need of whirlpooling assistance:(:confused:

Whirl pooling is nothing more than taking your spoon and spinning the wort in none direction to create a vortex that pulls all the break and hop material to the center of the kettle. Once the whirlpool slows the debris is deposited in a cone in the bottom center if the kettle

I use a 2-winged stirring rod on a power drill , it can whip a really nice vortex into 11 gallons with no trouble at all , leaves a nice cone as well

SleepyCreekBrews said:
I use a 2-winged stirring rod on a power drill , it can whip a really nice vortex into 11 gallons with no trouble at all , leaves a nice cone as well

That would be hot side aeration and while the consequences can be debated, excessive is not a good thing as I understand it.

( waiting for those to chime in and tell me I'm wrong.....)

duboman said:
That would be hot side aeration and while the consequences can be debated, excessive is not a good thing as I understand it.

( waiting for those to chime in and tell me I'm wrong.....)

I stir in such a way that I try to minimize splashing and bubbles for that same reason.

Man, I love this forum. I've learned more in the short time I've been a member here than I could've possibly imagined. Thanks for sharing such great information. I think it's awesome that a 7 year old thread still gets traffic. Wonderful.

Came upon this thread in research on doing a whirlpool. When I view the thread on my ipad, it shows broken links for images. When I view on my computer, there's no pictures at all. Am I the only one who can't see the images from the OP on the first few posts of this thread?

So, I'm trying to work whirlpooling into my brew session and I'm having an issue. I've just installed a 2nd port for the return whirlpool using a pump. Here's a pick depicting the set up of the valves. BTW, this pot is approx 20" in diameter. The whirlpool valve has a 1/2in street elbow on the inside of the pot and the liquid drain valve just has a 1/2in hose bard for now (this was a test).

I was able to things swirling, but there was no visible vortex there. It was almost like the flow was either not strong enough or being disrupted by not have the dip tube. I don't have a depiction of this, but does this make sense? Can anyone offer some advice? I can run it again tonight and upload a picture or video of it if needed. Thanks!

1016638_10101551214590595_1092887978_n.jpg

rgauthier20420 said:
So, I'm trying to work whirlpooling into my brew session and I'm having an issue. I've just installed a 2nd port for the return whirlpool using a pump. Here's a pick depicting the set up of the valves. BTW, this pot is approx 20" in diameter. The whirlpool valve has a 1/2in street elbow on the inside of the pot and the liquid drain valve just has a 1/2in hose bard for now (this was a test).

I was able to things swirling, but there was no visible vortex there. It was almost like the flow was either not strong enough or being disrupted by not have the dip tube. I don't have a depiction of this, but does this make sense? Can anyone offer some advice? I can run it again tonight and upload a picture or video of it if needed. Thanks!

image-2705998803.jpg

image-3701481432.jpg

Here is a picture of my whirlpool -- I just use elbows for both and have no issues getting a large trub cone even with and IC. You don't really need a "vortex" like on a stir plate, mine just moves in a very small clockwise movement.

Back