Is Nottingham a slow starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
Just brewed an oatmeal stout on Saturday and used Nottingham for the first time. It is now Monday afternoon and I'm not seeing anything close to the action in the carboy that I've seen with US-05 or Munton's. I'm wondering if I got a bad batch of yeast or if Nottingham is typically a slow starter.

Here's the specs to date:
- O.G. 1.058
- Hydrated yeast according to package instructions at about 95F
- Pitched at about 74F
- Fermenter has held pretty steady between 66F and 68F
- Yeast was stored in the fridge (about 40F) for the week after I received it in the mail from my supplier. Allowed a couple hours for it to come up to room temp during the mash and boil.
- After 48 hrs. there is a very thin krausen (maybe 1/4") and absolutely no activity in the airlock

I've basically followed the same procedures I usually follow. Other dry yeasts have always taken off with a bang.

I'm stumped. Notty has been a reliable yeast for me (I rehydrate too) with a decently fast start and full attenuation. I'm assuming you attemperated your yeast slurry to within 10*F of your wort after you rehydrated and before pitching. Hopefully you'll see something before you hit the 72 hour mark. Heck, maybe you have a little leak somewhere.

Next time, I'd suggest getting your wort about 10* cooler as Notty likes to give off-flavors when pitched/fermented above 68*, but that has no bearing on the delayed start.

Thanks guys. Checked it again a few minutes ago and I'm seeing a little activity in the airlock now. I'll check it again in the morning and I'm guessing it will be fine.

I didn't check the yeast temp at pitching but I doubt there was a 5 degree difference between the wort and the yeast. But it does bring up a good point. I'll check the yeast temp next time so I'm not guessing.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Just a follow-up on this, in case anyone is still following the thread. At 66-68F fermentation temp Notty did get going and continued burping along very nicely. It has now quieted down a bit (as would be expected) and I am looking forward to a very enjoyable brew.

Thanks again for the input!

hopmonster2189 said:
Glad to hear it. I've used Notty for my last two ales both were around 1.075 and its handled them no prob.

Another follow-up ...
I used Notty for a batch of IPA this week-end. I also just acquired a freezer and Johnson control unit so I could get control over my fermentation temps. At 65f I found my brew bubbling along very nicely after just 24 hrs. I'm looking forward to tasting these last two batches. And my answer to the opening question of this thread? No. Notty is not slow. If it seems slow, check for leaks. I had too little liquid in my airlock.

Another follow-up ...
I used Notty for a batch of IPA this week-end. I also just acquired a freezer and Johnson control unit so I could get control over my fermentation temps. At 65f I found my brew bubbling along very nicely after just 24 hrs. I'm looking forward to tasting these last two batches. And my answer to the opening question of this thread? No. Notty is not slow. If it seems slow, check for leaks. I had too little liquid in my airlock.

Good for you on the temp control and freezer. You are gonna love it.

Now you can try Notty down into the 55-57*F range for the first week, raise to 62 another week followed by a D-rest at 68*F for a few days before cold crashing to 36*F. It's about as close to a lager as you can get with an ale yeast and no long term cold lagering.

BigFloyd said:
Good for you on the temp control and freezer. You are gonna love it.

Now you can try Notty down into the 55-57*F range for the first week, raise to 62 another week followed by a D-rest at 68*F for a few days before cold crashing to 36*F. It's about as close to a lager as you can get with an ale yeast and no long term cold lagering.

Great tip! That might have been a good way to do the IPA I brewed last weekend. I'll keep it mind and give it a try. Thanks!

Silly question, I know, but how did you aerate?

I typically just pour the wort back and forth between the boil kettle and my bottling bucket a couple times before pouring it into the fermenter.

But as I posted earlier, I discovered this problem actually had nothing to do with the yeast. The problem was that I didn't put enough StarSan into the airlock and the CO2 was getting through it without making any bubbles. Once I got the fluid level up where it was supposed to be I watched it perk along very nicely for the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Back