Cheddar problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonAndy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just recently started making cheese. I started witht eh soft fresh cheeses and all went well. So I decide to give farmhouse cheddar a go.

Well. I think I followed the recipe exactly. I made two small cheeses and waxed them. I opened the first after a month and I knew there was a problem. What I seemed to have was two cheese in one. The outer part of the cheese was like halloumi and the centre of the cheese was crumbly but did taste of cheddar.

I opened the next one at 2 months. When I cut into it some whey came out. again the outer part was like halloumi this time the inner was more full of holes and even more crumbly and did not taste like cheddar.

I don't know what I have done wrong. I have made some more and checked them at 1 month and they both have the same problem.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong to cause this?

That's an ageing/drying problem. What are you doing to them before waxing them?

After pressing (1 hour at 10lbs then 12 hours at 20lbs) they go into a brine for 8 hours, then air dry for 24 hours. then wax.

I'm not sure I have my pressing correct, I didn't have a press for these, so i just used a 10lb weight then a 20lb weight. is that correct.

I have just received a dutch press, but I have no idea how to calculate the weight required to give me the correct pressure. I know its something to do with the length of the arm. I've googled it but couldnt come up with anything.

Not sure of the formula for the pressure TBH, but it sounds like you're pressing far too little for a cheddar type cheese. I'd want to press it for at least a week, turning it every 12 hours or at most every day. After the first couple of days turning it, start increasing the pressure gradually. You want it just to start weeping whey gently, not have it rushing out or it'll dry unevenly.

I'd also try dry salting rather than brining, at least at first. Use about a tablespoon of salt for each half pound of cheese, cover it liberally and leave overnight. You can wax right over the salt afterwards.

Back