What's your favorite beer store in Columbus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound180

Reaction score
What is everyone's go-to beer store in Columbus? I'm always looking for new places to go. Mine right now are:

Grandview Carry out
Palmer's Beverage Center
Gentile's

blacklick wine and spirits on broad street is pretty awesome. they have homebrew supplies as well as a kick ass selection of craft beer. they also do tastings every thursday/friday of a different brewery for $6.

I made it to barley hopsters yesterday and was pretty impressed. Got a sixer of stuff I've never seen before.

My goto store is Andersons - I'm a regular and can get items not advertised or have yet to be shelved. Kenny Rd. Market has a fine selection as well. Gentiles is my LHBS because it is pretty much on my way home from the office. Barley hopsters is pretty cool as well. Found a Stone 10-10-10 there plus you have to love a place you can grab something out of the cooler and crack it open on the spot lol.

I retract my earlier endorsement for Anderson's (Dublin) and will no longer be purchasing ANY beer from this location.

I retract my earlier endorsement for Anderson's (Dublin) and will no longer be purchasing ANY beer from this location.

I hear the manager there is playing favorites when it comes to limited releases and taking names for them. I've stopped using them since i started hearing these stories. I'm a nobody so I need a place that treats everyone the same.

If you go to Wielands ask for Chad Kessler he is a good guy. He also works at the daily growler. When I get on a list there I never get bumped because the managers friend decided they now want on the list.

I hear the manager there is playing favorites when it comes to limited releases and taking names for them. I've stopped using them since i started hearing these stories. I'm a nobody so I need a place that treats everyone the same.

If you go to Wielands ask for Chad Kessler he is a good guy. He also works at the daily growler. When I get on a list there I never get bumped because the managers friend decided they now want on the list.

Thanks for the advice. I go to Whole Foods regularly for many thing including beer, if your looking for something special ask the one of the folks at the counter in the wine department. They are always very helpful, and regularly have beer(s) in the back that are not displayed on the floor. Paul manages the department and is quite knowledgeable.

I know this is an old thread, however, can you guys recommend a store closer to the Newark area or somewhere in vicinity. I live about 45 minutes East of Newark, and making a drive over to CBus is few in far between.

Weasel Boy is 20 minutes away. I will check those out whenever I had that way. I was fortunate to find a small shop in my town that has the essentials and a little more, and an owner that is willing to order and help with whatever he can.
Canal Cargo in Roscoe Village Coshocton.

Savor on Indianola is making a strong case to become my favorite beer store. They deliver for free as well, which is as dangerous as it is amazing.

In Columbus, I like Kenny Road and Clintonville Community Market. As for near Newark, I've never had a bad experience at Beverage Source. Joel there really knows his stuff.

Being north of Columbus, the closest store is Barley Hopsters... for beer and homebrew supplies. Great place and friendly people! Right across from a bank... thats a dangerous mixture. ATM and beer store...

Being north of Columbus, the closest store is Barley Hopsters... for beer and homebrew supplies. Great place and friendly people! Right across from a bank... thats a dangerous mixture. ATM and beer store...

The folks there are great, the bottle selection is fantastic and brewing supplies are also well above par.

I may have to make the trek up there from columbus I'm tired of the winemakers shop's inflated prices and attitude.

I've been to winemakers 3 times. The first time, I was treated so poorly that I walked out...empty handed and unable to brew that day. After a long hiatus, I decided I would give them another chance. There was a young man there who knew his stuff and was very helpful. Having earned my business back, I went back last week. The owner lady was there. She was only half helpful and not very pleasant. #1 rule of customer service: service your customers...duh!

I've been to winemakers 3 times. The first time, I was treated so poorly that I walked out...empty handed and unable to brew that day. After a long hiatus, I decided I would give them another chance. There was a young man there who knew his stuff and was very helpful. Having earned my business back, I went back last week. The owner lady was there. She was only half helpful and not very pleasant. #1 rule of customer service: service your customers...duh!

This is why many of us beer brewers in Columbus will not go back. She showed up at a brew club meeting over a year ago, stayed long enough to grovel for some business (15 at best) and the left. She did not hang around to chat with over 60 POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS! Never again for me, I work in sales and I would never treat a potential customer with such disrespect.

I was at that meeting. I thought she was going to give a talk. Got nothing. I have never been to that store simply because of stories like this. sad really. I've had some crappy experiences with gentile's, but they seemed anomalous since most times they are helpful, or at least nice. So i have been sticking with them.

A couple of the other places that have stuff available, like Neil house (no longer with us) and BRU (North High Brewing), seem expensive and limited.

Wet to Gentile's for the first time this week. They were nice people, showed me around, showed me their grain mill and how to use it. I'll go back at some point!

Gentiles is hit or miss if there is anyone working that is able to assist you or not.

Went to Winemakers a while ago and the owner lady charged me $3 to crush my grain. I brought it with me and even bought some grain from them. Who charges for that? I have since bought a grain mill. Just thought it was funny. Gentiles seems to have what I need often though. I'll have to check out these bottle shops though. I've been going to the place that's in the North Market. Not bad. Kinda limited.

I know it may be a bit of sacrilege (large retail), but the Giant Eagle Market District in UA and the Whole foods at 161 and Sawmill both have surprisingly good selections (especially of singles), get rare releases (Enjoy By and KBS), and sell at state minimum. I definitely frequent all of the other places mentioned, especially Gentile's for the best homebrew supply selection in town.

Wielands and Palmers I like but I will have to try the other ones you guys have brought to my attention thanks

The Whole Foods on Lane has a decent selection too. Found Sour in the Rye last time I was there.

Anyone been to the new bottle shop, crafted drafts? I think its on the east side. Looks like it has a huge selection. I believe they said its only second to jungle Jim's.

Anyone been to the new bottle shop, crafted drafts? I think its on the east side. Looks like it has a huge selection. I believe they said its only second to jungle Jim's.

Thanks D, added to the list. Take note they are not open on Sunday.

Wish I had saw crafted drafts earlier was at to home depot across the street but drove to blacklick to check them out.I was duly impressed at blacklick though.

Dolomieu said:

The Jungle Jim's near cinci? Or does there happen to be one in the Columbus area?

The Jungle Jim's near cinci? Or does there happen to be one in the Columbus area?

Just in Cincy, there are now two the original is off of SR4 North. If your any type of foody plan on spending more than 3 hours, take some help you will have more than one cart full.

bad67z said:
Just in Cincy, there are now two the original is off of SR4 North. If your any type of foody plan on spending more than 3 hours, take some help you will have more than one cart full.

You have no idea how much that scares me.

Back