Fitting temperature probe into bigger Tee fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello.

I bought a temperature probe from electricbrewery: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-temperature-probes

I also bought a stainless Tee from morebeer and my intention was to plug the probe into it. After I received both I saw that the probe is longer than fits into the Tee and even though it would fit in the screw itself is bigger on the Tee.

Here is the Stainless - Tee - 1/2" FPT: http://morebeer.com/products/stainless-tee-12-fpt.html?site_id=5

The question is can anybody point me to something that I can use as an extension and also to make the screwing of the probe fit?

Thanks,
Johann

Couldn't you just screw the probe into one of the straight ends and output off the side?

edit
Think you can use one of these?
halfbyquarter-500x500.jpg

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_41&product_id=71

Which probe did you buy? The 1/2" NPT 1.5" probe or the 1/4" probe? I'm guessing the 1/4" since its smaller. If you look on Kal's site, he actually has a link to the reducer you need to use. From his site:
1/4" NPT thread, 2" long probe: This the probe we used on our setup. A stainless steel bushing (reducer) is used to thread this probe into the 1/2" NPT stainless steel "T".

For what its worth, the Bargain Fittings link Mr Natural put up is the same part, for ~$1.50 cheaper

If you bought the metric probe then I have no idea what to do.

I think the problem is you would have to find a reducer that goes from the larger 1/2" NPT to the smaller metric size. It might be hard to find the NPT to metric

You're not going to find a metric-to-NPT reducer.
Send the thermometer you got back and get the right one.

or get a metric tap, and tape the mofo out of it? Or get a 1/2" plug and drill/tap the metric part.

Send the thermometer you got back and get the right one.

I would highly recommend this. The 1/2" would be a direct plug in, and the 1/4" would at least fit. And, the NPT probes are cheaper!

If you don't/won't exchange it, then this plug is what you'll want to buy, and then drill and tap it to m14x1.5

If you go the drill/tap route please keep us filled in. Would be interested to see the result.

Yes - I have contacted The Electric Brewery and they are looking into if I can return it for the NPT 1/2" version. I'm optimistic they will say yes because it is unused.

I would highly recommend this. The 1/2" would be a direct plug in, and the 1/4" would at least fit. And, the NPT probes are cheaper!

If you don't/won't exchange it, then this plug is what you'll want to buy, and then drill and tap it to m14x1.5

If you go the drill/tap route please keep us filled in. Would be interested to see the result.

If i recall correctly the custom metric probe is used is theelectricbrewery's boil kettle to monitor the temp. He used it by punching a hole through his kettle and securing it with a weldless fitting (locknut, washer and rubber flat washer). He used the 1/2" NPT probe for the "T" fittings, well actually I think he used the 1/4" NPT with the reducer that was listed above, but he recommends the 1/2", cause with it, you no longer need the reducer fitting. Hopefully he will let you exchange it.

Be sure to note that with the 1/2" NPT probe the probe is 1.5" (this insures it fits into the tee) and with the 1/4" NPT probe it's 2" (due to the need for it be longer since you have to use the reducer).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

To close the loop in case anyone else is wondering how to fit a metric (straight thread) probe into an NPT (tapered) plumbing:

Johann contacted me the same day he started the thread here and indicated he'd rather use the metric probe he has so I spent some time on McMaster Carr trying to find an adapter to go from the M14x1.5 metric probe to the ½” female NPT Tee but came up short. They do have some metric -> NPT adapter bushings but nothing in M14 size.

Some of the other adapters I saw were in the $30-40 price range so it would likely not be inexpensive either even if it did exist. The adapter would also have to be long enough to ensure that the probe tip fits inside the Tee adequately which may be hard to confirm ahead of time if complete details/CAD drawing were not provided for everything. Last but not least, Johann's not in the USA so ordering from McMaster Carr or similar places is problematic.

I highly suggested that we simply swap the probe tip (the part that is threaded) for him and that is what was done.

Fitting a square peg in a round hole isn't always easy... sometimes it's easier to just use a different peg. ;)

Kal

Back