germinating barley - smells bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhajee

Reaction score
I'm attempting to germinate some barley for the 1st time.

I steeped it in water for a day or so, changing the water several times.

I then laid it out on trays and raked it several times a day. After 2-3 days it has started to smell like the cat has done something nasty on it! This can't be right surely!

Anyone tell me what's gone wrong please? :confused:

I have also tried making malt and I would describe the taste as "wet", slightly mouldy and slightly sour. After 2 to 3 days you should be able to se rootlets and maybe sprouts?

I dried my malt in regulary kitchen ovens, but it taske a very long time, 24 -36 hours(!), so I'd recommend you try putting it in an old pillow case and dry it in a tumble drier on "low heat" setting for ale or pilsener malt, or use regular or high heat for caramel malt. The high heat will render the enzymes useless, so malt dried at high heat will not be able to mash other grains, so mash it with base amlt to ensure enough enzymatic activity during the mash.

I'd love to hear how you go?

I had to throw it on the compost heap because the whole house smelt bad. (My wife was understanding up until that point). I need to get some more barley and try again.

I did have quite a few green shoots before it turned bad. Should I have stopped the malting by drying it at that point? I thought it was too early. I was expecting to have to leave it for a lot more than a few days. :confused:

Back