2.5% beer, what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to make some beer from stuff I had laying around, and it turned out good. Except it measured about 2.5% alc beer (1.030 OG and 1.010 FG). Not a good recipe.

Is there a way to increase ABV? Should I just chuck it?

You could add sugar to it, but if its just the abv that is wrong with it I say just have a super sessionable beer

If it tastes good, why worry about abv?

You can add sugar but it will dry it out. What size batch is it?

It's a 5-gal batch of wheat beer Not enough DME, I only had 3lbs. I tried a Belgian Wit beer, with probably too much oats.

Maybe I'll drink it at lunch; it reminds me of the Ericsson design center in Stockholm: they had 1% beer on tap for free, so everybody got two of them for lunch :mug:

Definitely a great session brew if it has any flavor and mouth feel at all. You could add some DME or Lme and let it kick back off and ferment again, but if it tastes good, drink it and remember this lesson for later brews. Could be great for sitting around after mowing and sippin a few to get cooled off before you go take a shower or jump in the pool.

Wheelchair Bob

Sell it in Utah? ;)

Just kidding. If it's still in the fermenter, you could try to add some sugar and hope it starts back up. I'd just leave it alone though, it should be a good refreshing warm-weather beer.

Yeah, if it tastes good leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. Adding more fermentables will throw the balance off and you might get a meh 4% beer instead of a good 2.5% beer.

Agree with everyone and just keep as is. Greatest thing about session beers are no hangover!

Back