Rookie mistake, did it kill my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philshelter

Reaction score
I did my second brew recently, it fermented so well it went up through the airlock. now the issue is i wasn't thinking and the "water" for the airlock was the ID Carlson solution i used for sanitizing my gear. my worry/curiosity is did it get into my fermenting beer? and is it safe to proceed with trying to keep the batch. or is it safer to just dump it and re-brew.

long story short, i learned to always start with a blow off valve and to pay attention and not use that "water" again.

No, you are fine, a little sanitizer won't hurt anything. It would take much, much more to kill the yeast off

Two things come to mind. First is that when you have active fermentation such that it blows krausen through the airlock, the action is all one way...out so it probably pushed out your cleaning solution rather than sucking it in. Second is that unless you have a seriously large airlock your quantity of solution that was in there and could have entered your beer is a very small quantity. It would have been diluted so much that you probably couldn't tell. You have the investment in the kit and the time and energy boiling it, why not let it ferment out and give it a taste. If it doesn't taste horrible, let it finish and bottle that batch.

thanks guys!, i was worried i may have possibly ruined/poisoned my beer, i will bottle it and see how she goes.

If it was fermenting that vigorously there is an excellent chance you will be fine. You may want to consider using a blow off tube on bigger beers, I do one on beers above 1.075, just to be safe. Don't throw it out, you've invested a lot of time and money so far!

I would say that the blow off pushed all your sanitized solution out of the airlock in the opposite direction of the fermenter. It would not be anything to worry about anyway. There is way to little stuff in there anyway.

I ALWAYS start with a blowoff tube installed. If you don't need it - no worries - if you do you are ready to go.

Back