Storing extract and minimash kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Recently bought the Austin Kalamazoo IPA when it was buy one get one free. Got one extract and one mini mash.

Extract: 8 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, .75 lb Specialty Grains

Mini Mash: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lb Base Grains, .75 lb Specialty Grains

How would you recommend storing the various ingredients? I have the dry yeast in the fridge, and the rest still in the box in the basement. Probably 60-65 degrees.

Will make one kit in a couple weeks and the other sometime this summer. The grains came crushed.

Liquid malt extract and hop pellets.

Hops will keep for years in the freezer. The yeast will lose viability eventually in the fridge, but you're talking about months and months before you need to worry about that.

LME will stay fresh for months at room temperature, assuming it's in an airtight container. Same goes for the grains. My one suggestion would be to closely examine all packaging and make sure you don't have any pin-holes or other compromises. Otherwise, you're fine for a few months at the least.

Should you keep the boxed kit in the pantry? Or should you separate the components out and put some in the pantry, some in the fridge, some in the freezer? I'm looking at buying a few kits and it will be 4-wks before brewing the first batch and 6-wk before the next batch.'

thx

Should you keep the boxed kit in the pantry? Or should you separate the components out and put some in the pantry, some in the fridge, some in the freezer? I'm looking at buying a few kits and it will be 4-wks before brewing the first batch and 6-wk before the next batch.'

thx
Well more_hops_please has explained it pretty well. 4 to 6 weeks require that the yeast be in the fridge. As long as the yeast is in the fridge you might as well put the hops (which may are may not be fine in a vacuum packed container on the shelf) in the fridge.

Back