Replacing Nugget with Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
My first recipe adjustment. I want to swap bittering hops to gain the citrus and drop the spice. If I switch the Nugget as a flame out hops could I get the spice aroma and then surprise with a citrus flavor or is this a bad move?

My first recipe adjustment. I want to swap bittering hops to gain the citrus and drop the spice. If I switch the Nugget as a flame out hops could I get the spice aroma and then surprise with a citrus flavor or is this a bad move?

Nugget doesn't taste very good so that's why it's normally used at a bittering hop. It's not really bad or anything, but that's why it's at bittering. Little hops flavor comes though with bittering hops, so I don't see any advantage to using centennial for bittering over something like nugget.

For late addition hops, you do keep the flavor and character of the hops. That's where the swap would really matter.

Got it, so bitter hops don't transfer flavor. Stick with Nugget on the front end and flavor with centennial, thanks for the info. American pale ale with a centennial flavor and a little extra hops kick coming up.

PB American Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.062
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.13 %
Calories: 204.01 IBU's: 63.10
Efficiency: 80.00 % Boil Size: 5.00 Gals
Color: 11.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gals
Preboil OG: 1.062 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
4.00 ozs 2.94 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
132.00 ozs 97.06 % Munton's Light LME 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 tons 40.18 Nugget 60 mins 13.00
1.00 tons 15.34 Centennial 15 mins 10.00
0.50 tons 6.14 Pearle 15 mins 8.00
1.00 tons 1.44 Cascade 2 mins 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 dry pkgs Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
0.50 oz Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
(none)

Water Profile
(none)

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 65.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 65.0°F

Carbonation
Desired Vol of CO2: 2.75 Vols
Beer Temperature: 72.00 °F
Residual CO2 in Beer: 0.81
Corn Sugar Required: 5.21 ozs

I like the recipe, but I'd probably cut the nugget to .5 ounce and see what the IBUs are. With an OG of 1.062, and very little crystal malt, I think an ounce of nugget 13% at 60 minutes is too bitter.

Not to mention 132oz of DME. Try listing in pounds. And if all you have for grains is crystal 60L,the it's not partial mash. A 30 minute steep will do fine,since you have no base malt in it.

Thanks yooper.

I love TONS of hops and Ozs of malt. Silly brew software, you know me so well.

I tend to use nugget for bittering on most of my brews.
Listen to yoop and dial it back a little up front.

I also like to shoot around 50% from bittering and 50% from aroma on pales.
I do like them hoppy, but a solid bitterness needs a smooth flavor/aroma.

Got it, so bitter hops don't transfer flavor

Well, I'd say they transfer some flavor...just not nearly as much as late addition or dry hops. Personally I love using Warrior for bittering in APAs and IPAs, because they get out of the way and let the rest of your hops shine. Very clean, smooth bitterness.

Back