Belgian fermenting too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I'm brewing Midwest's Grand Cru that I pitched a bit too warm. I pitched two packets of the Wyeast 3944 and fermentation took off within an hour and was fermenting at 78* for about 6 hours until I put it in a water bath that cooled it to 66-68*. I trying to let it ferment at 70* but my main question is do you think the initial 78* fermentation produced too many off tastes from being so warm or do you think I'll be okay?

At this point do you think I should just try to keep the temperature steady at the current temps?

The 78 was not good, but if it was only 6 hours I don't think you are totally screwed. Now I'd keep the temps stable. Maybe slowly ramp them up as fermentation slows down to make sure you get it attenuated.

Thats what I was thinking. The only saving grace is that I've read that 3944 likes it pretty warm compared to standard ale yeasts.

Still chugging along at 68* 4 days after brewing Fermentation was slowing a bit so I gently rocked the carboy back and forth and came home to the krausen bubbling out the blow off tube. I guess this yeast just needed to be woken up just a bit because there must have been plenty of sugar still to eat.

A lot of belgians like warmer fermentation temps, in my research for brewing a Belgian Pale Ale (using Wyeast Ardennes) some people ferment in the 75-80 range.

This is one SLOW fermenting beer. After 3.5 weeks it is finally in the FG range and I figure it will be a full 4 weeks to finally reach a steady gravity. Most of the time it fermented at 68-70* and I roused the yeast every few days as well. So far my samples taste great!

Latest posts

Back