Noob to Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boo-urns

Reaction score
I haven't found much via search/google on lagering times or when or when not to d-rest.

From what I've gathered primary fermentation check out what yeast you're using and ferment around that 50-55. Then when fermentation is done bring it up to low 60s for a few days. Then step it down to ~35 5 degrees a day. When at 35 maintain temps for 30-45+ days.

Any tips?

Sounds spot on. Also remember lager yeast will not form a huge krausen on the top of the wort and may not form any, as lager yeast is bottom fermenting not top.

I would recommend doing you D-rest when the beer is about 75% fermented, that will allow your 2-3 day rest in the 60's to kill the diacetyl and for the yeast to clean up the beer and finish fermenting. After the D-rest, check to see if you have reached your final gravity number, if not give it a few more days, then transfer to secondary and lager for at least 30 days.

...I would recommend doing you D-rest when the beer is about 75% fermented, that will allow your 2-3 day rest in the 60's to kill the diacetyl and for the yeast to clean up the beer and finish fermenting...

Awesome! Do you know what the step down in temps over the course of x days does? Any reason not to just crank it to 35?

I usually turn my temp controller down a max of 5 degrees a day over the course of a week. You don't want to drop it quick because while it may been fully fermented when it goes into to the lager stage, the yeast will still be working to clean up the beer. Thus a quick cold crash will drop the yeast out too soon.

Another tip, if you bottle your beers, you may need more yeast when you bottle due to the long time in the lager stage. I usually rehydrate 1/3 to 1/2 a pack of dry yeast like US-05 then add that and my priming sugar to the bottling bucket.

Ah that makes sense about dropping too fast.

Thanks for the bottling tip I didn't even consider that.

Latest posts

Back