Possibly Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadh

Reaction score
Alright, well I am new here... obviously, because I am posting here.

The Situation

5 Gallon glass carboy
Standard airlock
This kit http://store.homebrewheaven.com/west-coast-blonde-ale-p1478.aspx

Transferred into the secondary carboy after 4-5 days I think. It had hit the recommended SG that the kit instructions indicated.

It has been in the secondary now for about a week and a couple days. It had been getting clearer and most everything was settling to the bottom. Had a day or two of bubbles on the surface. Yesterday, I took another SG sample, read about 1.013 @ 65 degrees. Started about 1.032ish (which was what the instructions said was about typical).

I came home today and there appears to be either yeast or mold on the surface, small particulates. Some of the particles are descending from the surface to the bottom while others are rising.

Taste/Smell

Tastes... well, it tastes like flat beer. Doesn't taste funny, if it was cold and carbonated I think it would taste good. No weird smells, smells like beer should.

Am I worried about nothing here? This is my first time so I've never seen what it's supposed to look like or the progression of events leading up to being finished. I had thought I was getting close to racking due to the current SG, but maybe it needs another week or two.

Anyways, I appreciate any help I receive! Thanks for taking the time to read through what I think may be a problem.

Yeah, it's probably fine but if you have the ability to post a picture we can probably tell for sure. In the future, don't rack to a secondary because the SG is where the kit says it should be. You really need a couple of hydrometer readings 2-3 days apart with no change to make sure that it's done. That or you can just not rack to secondary, as a lot of us around here have been doing. Anyhow, I'm betting that everything is fine and you will have nice, tasty beer. Enjoy! :mug:

I agree. You probably want to wait at least another couple days to let the activity damp down and let stuff settle.
Also probably shouldn't have racked it to secondary so soon. Leaving it on the yeast cake would have let the cleaning up activity happen more efficiently. But, no biggie at this point. You made beer, and it'll be great!

Normal.

Next time, save yourself some trouble (an potential oxidation). Let it finish in the primary and go straight to the bottling bucket.

Back